White Flags, Red Flags, and Rose Colored Glasses

"You're going to ruin that robe," Caelan's voice washed over Rowan. The usually put-together prince worked at planting pumpkin seeds as rain poured on the roof of the greenhouse. "Your parents are looking for you and I don't think it would do if you met them covered in potting soil."
"I cannot face them. They want to discuss my betrothal, Caelan. I cannot face it. I cannot bear it!" He stared up at the captain of his guard, his green eyes desperate and bloodshot from crying.
"Why not?" Caelan sighed. "We knew this day would come." He tilted Rowan's chin up and held his gaze, thumbing away tears. "You've come of age."
"Caelan, I'm pregnant," Rowan told him, voice so soft the knight could barely hear him.
"What? How?"
"I'd think you know, you were there with me. You're the only one who has... been there... with me," he whispered. He blushed and ducked his head. "That's why I cannot face them."
"Rowan, it- I- it will be okay. That was only a few weeks ago. If you can secure a- a contract soon, then you can pass it off as the child of your spouse and- and it will be fine."
"Caelan."
"Rowan."
"I don't want to marry anyone else."
"You have to, you're the crown prince of this kingdom."
"Why can't I marry you?"
"Because I am not nearly high ranking enough to marry a prince. You know this." He stroked Rowan's cheek. "Sweetheart, you have to think of the kingdom. It's not too late to- to not be pregnant."
"Caelan! I want it. Stop it."
"You have to think about your options realistically. Rowan, if they find out about us, it'll likely mean my head in a basket. This isn't about want, unfortunately, or we'd have run away a long time ago."
"I'm not going to give up this pregnancy, I won't. I'd sooner give up my throne."
"Your sister is nowhere near ready to be queen, nor is she after you in succession even if she was. And your other siblings..."
"What about Petri?" He grinned. "He'll be of age next year."
"Absolutely not, he's a violent despot in training. Rowan, please." Caelan held his hands and rubbed his knuckles. "We can go to Wilde, she- she knows things, magic, to deal with things like this."
"Caelan, I am not giving up the baby. Please stop trying to force my hand."
"What if she can help you hide it?"
"That... I could accept." Rowan let Caelan help him to his feet. He sighed softly. "I always forget how damn tall you are until you come home. How was the summer training camp?"
"Every year is more hopeless than the last, and yet at the end of the summer, we seem to have a new batch of knights." He smiled softly and rubbed Rowan's back. "That Northern king is single, and he's pretty handsome."
"He's nearly fifty years old."
"And? You could do worse. I hear he's kind. Patient. Has an army of children already, so he probably wouldn't demand too much of you. Maybe he'd even let you see me from time to time. His eyes are gentle, he wouldn't hurt you."
"Doubt it." He sighed. "No, I need to marry a second son or daughter. I have my own throne to inherit."
"I always forget that part." He sighed.
"Seems all the more unfair I cannot choose my own spouse. If it's just to sit on the throne here, in our tiny kingdom, then why does it matter?" He sighed. "What about my happiness?"
"You are the crown's future, Rowan. You have to make connections to other kingdoms. There are sacrifices that have to be made sometimes."
"Sure, but why does it have to be my heart? My body?" He shook his head. "I will change the law. My children will not have to live this way." Caelan kissed him softly. "Hey! We could be seen!"
"Wilde. Let's go."
"In the morning. My parents were looking for me, were they not?"
"I brought you a fresh robe." Caelan held up green silk.
"Thank you." Rowan looked around before stripping off the smoky gray silk he had been wearing and slipped into the green. "How do I look?"
"Much more alive," Caelan smiled. "I think that's my favorite color on you. It makes your eyes even more beautiful."
"You're sweet." He hugged Caelan close for just a moment. "I just want this. This moment, this... love, forever." He sighed and moved back. He thought he heard a rustle on the far side of the greenhouse and bit his lip.
"I do too," Caelan whispered softly. "Allow me to escort you?" He dabbed Rowan's face dry of tears.
"Of course," Rowan smiled. He sighed softly as Caelan moved to walk slightly behind, yet almost beside him. "Should I tell them? My parents?"
"Let's talk to Wilde first. If she has a solution that may change things."
Rowan looked around as they walked down the hallway. "It is one thing to conceal a pregnancy, but at some point there will be a baby."
"Your parents have fostered many an orphan," Caelan pointed out.
"It will likely look like one or both of us," sighed Rowan.
"It won't matter. You'll be king, nobody will dare speak against you."
"I suppose, but plenty of rumors swirl about my father and some of those orphans." He shrugged. "I think the last I heard, there were somewhere around... oh, god, nineteen of them?"
"Your father does not have a third of your generosity. He never worked in the farmlands, never cared to speak to his subjects the way you do, rarely goes into town and never without a guard."
"I never go without a guard."
"You go with me."
"You're the Captain. You are the most guard of all the guards," Rowan teased. He blushed softly as Caelan chuckled.
"Your father brings a contingent of guards. You go with me, and we dress... not like a prince and his guardsman."
"That is true. My mother almost found that leather doublet you wore last time, by the way."
"I think I wore that the night we- the night- the time-" He cleared his throat.
"That night my parents were away on their tour and there was the storm, and you built up my fire...? After you took me shopping?"
"That's the one." Caelan blushed. "Do you regret it? Now that I might have ruined your future?"
"Absolutely not. Caelan, if I can find a way, will you marry me?"
"You know I would. I've loved you since we were children."
"Then why aren't you looking harder for a way to do so?" Rowan sighed.
"Because the law is... the law. And it is not yet under your control." Caelan sighed. "Listen, I understand, more than you might think. My older sister was wed to a duke out east and he's fine, he's kind and gentle. They just had their third child, she isn't unhappy, but she's not happy, at least not as happy as she was when she met that lady blacksmith the summer before her wedding." He sighed. "Rowan. This is one of the costs of your crown. You have to recognize it. You live a life of both great privilege, and of public servitude. Your life isn't your own, your heart is not your own."
"Because it's yours," Rowan sighed. Caelan looked down. "I shall talk to my parents, and tomorrow we shall find Wilde. We will figure this out, Caelan, and I will have my way. I will have the husband I want, or no spouse at all."
Caelan swallowed softly. "Yes, your highness." He stood back as Rowan gracefully entered the throne room, the doors opened for him by well-dressed servants in surcoats of rich rose and lilac velvet. "Mother, Father," He bowed to his parents and smiled politely as they came towards him.
"Good evening, Rowan," smiled Queen Estrella. She looked him over, evaluating. "With your birthday just past, I think it is time we began to plan the next... phase of your life. As you know, your father and I have begun the work to prepare you to take over the kingdom. Now, we have no plans to abdicate anytime soon, nor do we plan to pass away, and we would-"
"Rather I be prepared, just in case," Rowan smiled. "Yes, Mother. I understand. What... What is the next stage? I have trained with Caelan for years, I have farmed, I have studied animal welfare. I have charted journeys, both land and sea. I have dined with the nobles, and I have brokered deals. What remains of my education?"
"Not your education, son," his father sighed. "It is time to consider your betrothal. As you know, the line must continue."
Rowan bit his lip. "You disdain the idea?" his mother asked softly. "Rowan, you understand what is asked of a crown prince of Embernest."
"I do. I simply do not understand why I cannot choose from those already within the kingdom."
"We are frequently accused of isolating by our neighbor nations," his father sighed. "Even though we frequently travel to visit," he sighed again. "When was the last time the sea king thought about a visit? Ten years ago?"
"Regardless, it is expected," Estrella sighed. "It helps to forge strong connections, build bridges with our neighbors. You must strengthen this kingdom, Rowan, not allow it to decay due to neglect." She looked at him. "I know you and Caelan were children together and are friends, but he is not a suitable match for someone in your position."
"Then who is? Someone older than the two of you, whom I have never met?" He shook his head.
"We will find you an appropriate, suitable match that you will accept."
"And how do you plan to do this?"
"We will host a series of balls, parties, and events. We will find you someone." Estrella took her son's hand. "Rowan, you know that I did not know your father on our wedding day. And now, we are happy."
"You are? With all of Father's bastards underfoot?"
"Rowan!" King Lucian thundered with the weather. "You will apologize to your mother. Now!"
"Like you have done?" He shook his head. "Mother, I am sorry for hurting you. I will not accept a marriage to anyone who will be unfaithful."
"You will accept the contract placed before you, and you will be grateful. Now, go and prepare for dinner," Lucian ordered him.
"Yes, your highness," Rowan mocked him with a flippant bow before leaving. Caelan followed him to his chambers and sighed. Rowan was trembling from head to toe. "I won't be like him," he told Caelan. "With or without you. I won't become him, philandering about."
"Rowan." Caelan sighed.
"What is it?"
"They are sending me on a mission," he sighed. He took Rowan's hands. "I will be back within the week." He took one hand away to produce the missive he had received while Rowan and his parents talked.
"What? What if something happens to you!"
"Rowan, I am the Captain. I have to lead the army."
"To what purpose? We are not at war."
"No, there is a dispute between two of the southern Lords. Your father bids me, and a small party, investigate."
"Well. Good. I shall accompany you."
"It is too dangerous."
"Then it is too dangerous for you." Rowan crossed his arms. "If it is a diplomatic mission, it makes sense to have an emmisary of the crown who is, well, related to the crown."
"I must go, Rowan. Tonight." Caelan closed his eyes and ducked his head, a strand of blond hair falling into his face. "I don't make the rules, I don't question my orders."
"But... the baby. Wilde. We have plans!" Rowan's eyes filled with tears.
"Go without me. She will still help you." Caelan kissed him fiercely. "Rowan, I love you. I will come home to you, I swear."
"Don't leave me," he whispered. "Please!" He kissed him passionately and pulled Caelan closer. He tugged at his armor, frowning.
"Rowan, we don't have time for- for anything more than kisses," he whispered. "Please. Promise me. You will go to Wilde."
"I promise, Caelan." He kissed him again and again, tangling a hand into his hair. "And I promise that when you come home to me, we will plan our wedding."
"Hmmm. How will you make this possible?"
"I will find a way," he promised. "I swear to you, Caelan Balfour. We will be wed before our baby is born."
"Oh? Will you be the first king to have no bastards?"
"I hope so," he sighed. He put Caelan's hand on his slim belly. "You have to come home to us, safe and sound. We need you."
"I must go," Caelan sighed. He kissed Rowan one last time and sighed. He brushed Rowan's copper hair out of his face. "You are so beautiful."
"Take this with you," he whispered, tucking an emerald green silk scarf into Caelan's chest plate. "Think of me. Come home to me, safe."
"I swear, I shall return to you posthaste." Caelan kissed him one last time and left. Rowan sat on his bed and stared at his feet. He let the moment wash over him before summoning his chamberman to help him dress for dinner. He bathed, and then dressed in yet another silken outfit. He stepped into gold pants, a rose shirt, and lilac doublet with sleeves slit to reveal the shirt underneath. He fastened a leather belt around his waist and added his dagger, a seventeenth birthday gift from his guards, its golden hilt complimenting his pants perfectly. He braided his hair out of his face and tied the end with a green silk ribbon.
"Are you ready, sir?"
"Yes, thank you, Marvin." Marvin brought him brown leather boots and padded socks. "These are for riding."
"Indeed, sir. I thought perhaps a ride after dinner, to aid digestion. Perhaps a visit to your apothecary friend, for herbs?"
"Marvin, were you by chance in the greenhouse earlier tonight?"
"I was, sir."
"And did you hear myself having a conversation with anyone?"
"I may have, sir. Unless, of course, your highness decides that I did not, in which case, I did not."
"Marvin, you've been with me since I was a child. You are more a father to me than my own."
"Your highness is kind."
"You understand that no one can know. I shall wear my slippers tonight. I shall depart in the morning."
"Sir, I have always been discreet."
"This is true. My mother still does not know that my first word was your name," he smiled softly. "Would you be willing to accompany me to visit Wilde?"
"I will do anything your highness requests of me, sir."
Rowan nodded. "Would you tell me it will be all right?"
"It will, sir. You will solve this puzzle, as you always have done."
Rowan smiled gratefully. "Will you ask the kitchen staff to serve water rather than wine tonight? They can tell my parents it has spoiled, anything."
"Of course." Marvin bowed and left to do so. Rowan pressed a hand over his mouth. He wanted to scream, run away, anything, it was too much to bear. He wrapped his arms around himself and went to the window, looking out at the clear sky full of stars. He sighed. It would be a long winter, he knew. Summer was almost at an end, and he felt like he too would go dormant from the impact of Caelan's departure alone. Rowan touched his belly quietly. He swallowed back further emotions, stood tall, and headed down to dinner.
"Rowan!" His sister, just seventeen, smiled brightly as she saw him coming down the hall. Her curls, just like Rowan's, but lighter, were similarly braided back.
"Liss. You look like you've just returned from a ride."
"I have," she smiled. "With Caelan soon to be gone, and so much of the army, I am actually needed now."
"That's wonderful, truly," he smiled. "I am glad you will have a chance to prove yourself."
"I hope I get the chance. I actually taught Caelan a new maneuver the other day. He said I am one of the most naturally gifted soldiers he's trained, and that if Father does not allow me to join the knights officially, then he is a fool," she giggled.
"Liss, that is treason. Speak carefully, and much more quietly, if you are to stay out of trouble." Rowan looked around.
"You are always so scared of everything," she sighed. "So dramatic."
"I have survived being the crown prince this long," he answered, lifting an eyebrow at her. "Perhaps you ought to listen to me."
"And perhaps you ought to lighten up, older brother." Her eyes twinkled at him, and it was impossible for Rowan to be cross with her. "What are we having for dinner?"
"Probably pheasant again," he sighed. "They have been extraordinarily plentiful this season."
"The farmers are breeding them," Liss nodded. "Damn birds are right stubborn, but with new techniques... Well. We are having plentiful pheasant dinners."
"Mind your language, Princess," Rowan teased. He offered his elbow to her to escort Liss to the dining room.
"I hardly look a princess in this getup, I should likely change."
"You won't have time now," Rowan advised.
"I will hurry, and only miss the first course. I will see you soon, brother." She pecked his cheek and dashed off.
Rowan sighed, again heading to the dining hall alone. He was announced and then went to take his seat next to his younger brothers.
"Where is your sister?" Queen Estrella sighed at Rowan.
"She returned late from training and has gone to don appropriate dinnerwear, Mother," Rowan answered.
"I see." She took a long drink of her wine. "The first ball shall be at the end of this week, the tailor shall arrive tomorrow to design your new wardrobe."
"What is wrong with my clothes, Mother?"
"They are fine, for a country prince with no ambition," she sighed disdainfully. "They will not do for the future king during his courting or marriage."
"And... how soon are we expecting I will marry?" He lifted an eyebrow.
"As soon as possible," teased his next younger brother.
"Hush, child," sighed King Julian. "Although, you are not incorrect."
"I will do what I can," Rowan answered.
"You are damn right," Julian sighed. "Your mother has gone to great effort to arrange everything in your honor, Rowan, you will honor her by enthusiastically attending and finding a spouse."
"Yes, sir."
"And on that note, you must end your unseemly friendship with that guardsman. He is your body guard. You must have boundaries, separation. With how close you two are, there will be rumors if there are not already and that is unacceptable."
"But sir! I was told to have boundaries not- not that we could not- interact anymore." Rowan began indignantly but his voice quieted as his father looked like a storm cloud had crossed him.
"It is not easy being king," Julian sighed. "You will learn that sacrifices are often required, and often it is at your personal expense. You are the crown, you are the head of state. Everything that happens in this kingdom will be on your shoulders, and yours alone. Do you appreciate that?"
"I do, sir." He nodded and closed his eyes. He unconsciously touched his belly.
"Are you ill?" Estrella asked him. He shook his head. "Then cease acting in this manner, sit tall. Act with dignity."
Liss was announced and Rowan let out a sigh of relief. "Good evening, your highnesses," she smiled.
"It is unbecoming to be late, child," Julian sighed. "Where have you been?"
"I thought it would be preferable to be late and properly dressed, sir," Liss answered. "Rather than on time and fresh from training."
"Have you considered being on time and properly dressed?" Estrella asked. "Why do none of my children know how to behave, Julian?"
"My dear Estrella, I do not know, but they ought to pull themselves together if any of them have expectations of a future."
The gaggle of princes and princesses remained quiet. Rowan caught Liss' gaze and she lifted an eyebrow. "What is going on?" Estrella frowned.
"Nothing, mother," Rowan smiled charmingly. He took a drink of his water and watched their dinner be brought in. "Pheasant, Liss. You were right."
"They're plentiful this season," she grinned back.
"They are indeed." Rowan chuckled. He took vegetables and meat and doused it all in gravy.
"Rowan, I believe that is enough," Estrella sighed as though pained. "The tailor already has your measurements after all."
"I have been doing a great deal of training since my last wardrobe fitting," he answered. "He may need to measure me anew, regardless of what I eat."
"All the same, it would not do to become... portly..." She held his gaze.
"Of course, Mother, we couldn't possibly have a portly king." His eyes moved to his father, whose doublet strained across his beer belly.
"You will not insult your father, the king, my son. Apologize this instant!" Estrella snarled. She never had much patience for her children, and with Rowan, she was especially strained. Rumors of his dalliance with Caelan had reached her and it was all she could do to keep it from her husband.
"I sincerely apologize, your royal highness."
Liss snickered quietly to herself and hid her face behind her goblet.
"You two, out, now," Estrella covered her face with her hand. "You shame your parents, your family, your name."
"I bid you good evening," Rowan said and bowed. Liss followed his example and took their plates as she followed her brother to the gardens. "Oh, thanks, you're the best," he sighed and took the plate from her.
"They become more insufferable by the day," Liss sighed. "I wish someone would assassinate them."
"Treason, Liss. You've been spending too much time with those soldiers."
"They're all real loyal to you, you know." She smirked. "Something about canoodling with the Captain." She waggled her eyebrows and giggled as she took another drink.
"You're ridiculous," Rowan laughed. "God, I hope they don't know about that. Mother seems to know something, but you know she never reveals how much until you trap yourself. Maybe it's good she isn't saying more." He shuddered. "I don't want a marriage like our parents have."
"I know you don't," she nodded.
"I want... Well. You know."
"I do," Liss nodded. "Did you hear, another one of Father's bastards was discovered last week?"
"What? How many is that now?"
"At least twenty," Liss snorted.
"God, how's that possible?"
"I mean, there are ten of us," she snorted. "I do not envy Mother one bit."
"I hear they're working on another," Rowan answered.
"No! She can't possibly think that is wise!"
"I don't think it's really her choice. There is a great amount I do not envy Mother. I have no desire to be like her, endlessly pregnant and unhappy as my spouse traipses about with any willing commoner." He shook his head.
"Rowan, you won't. Even if you can't have Cae- who you want, you'll find someone grand. You've got to."
"But I know all of the available royals and nobles, and the ones that aren't boring as all hell have nothing in common with me."
"Rowan. What if there's someone you haven't met, and they're wonderful?" Liss' eyes glittered with romantic dreams.
"They won't be him."
"He's gone. He told you to do what you need to do to survive."
"I wonder if this is how Father got started with his philandering. What if he loved someone he couldn't have, and he justified being with them because he loved them, and that became... this." He sighed. "I wish I was a commoner."
"No you don't. And you won't end up like Father. I won't let you. Caelan won't let you."
"I don't want to be trussed up like a doll and set on the throne and treated like a puppet," he sighed. "And I don't want to be responsible for everything. That's too damn much pressure!" He shook his head.
"You know what you're doing. You care about the people. Do you think any of our siblings would be a better ruler?"
"No. I think our family should have nothing to do with the throne."
"Now who is committing treason?" Liss giggled. "You're not a puppet, Rowan. You're not a doll. You'll be a great king. Plus, it's not like you're getting married or taking the throne tomorrow. You have more time. Father is not going anywhere, for better or for worse."
Rowan sighed. "I need to see Wilde tomorrow."
"Are you sick?"
"Liss, if I tell you this, you have to swear you won't tell anyone," Rowan whispered.
"Then best not say anything," she sighed. "Not because of me. I've never betrayed your confidence."
"This I know."
"Mother has ears in all places. Tell me tomorrow when we go to see Wilde. I will accompany you."
"Very good," Rowan smiled. "Thank you, sister. You are good to me." He hugged her close and kissed her head.
"Remember this when you are king. Assign me to your guard, and I'll be happy all my days."
"You will be Caelan's right hand woman once you have completed your initiation." He smiled warmly.
"You are the best." She grinned.
"I will endeavor to always hold your esteem," he smiled. "We will need to leave early tomorrow. Can you be ready by dawn?"
"I won't even sleep."
"No, you need to be rested. It's quite a journey. At least a day's ride each way, in addition to the day we shall spend visiting."
"I shall sleep, then, and yes, I will be ready."
"Very good. I will ask the kitchens to pack us some food. Wear clothes that can travel, we're going to ride hard."
"I see." She grinned. "Armor it is. It'll be my first time being someone's personal guard."
"Very well." Rowan finished his plate of food and set it down. "This worked out nicely. I really did not wish to spend hours in that stuffy hall with all of them dissecting me and my tone and my outfit and my words." He sighed.
"They're insufferable. I know, treason, and it's true." She sighed. "How did we ever come from those two?"
"Well, does anyone on Father's side of the family have red hair?" He lifted an eyebrow.
"Rowan! It doesn't work that way!" she laughed.
"No, but it did make you laugh." Liss shoved him gently. "Well. What shall we do with our evening?"
"Prepare for tomorrow?" she chuckled.
"Right. Of course."
"Make sure you request your padded saddle. I do not want to hear you complain all the way to the forest."
"I have never, not even once, complained about my saddle on a ride."
"Because you know that if you did, you would never hear the end of it."
"I hear so much flack, I should complain just to earn it," Rowan snorted.
"Maybe if you were more like the others, you would hear less flack," Liss smirked.
"Why should I?" He rolled his eyes. "There's plenty of other men who want to go to war and swing swords and screw everything that moves." He shrugged. "I just... want to farm, and live in a little cabin in the woods with Caelan and have a nice life." He looked at his feet. He had never shared that with anyone, beyond Caelan.
"I get it," she smiled. "And as the sixth child, I'll never inherit, so it makes it a bit awkward to enjoy the sword swinging and war fighting, huh?"
"You're in exactly the right role," he smiled at her. "I think you'd be a great queen, for what it's worth, but there's also more to life than war and armor and swords."
"I know." She shrugged. "There's also helping your hopeless romantic brother deal with our parents." She smiled and nudged him. "Wear something... inconspicuous, would you? Tomorrow?"
"Right, because a peasant and a knight is definitely normal."
"I just don't want us to risk more than we need to," she sighed.
"I get it. I'll see what I've got."
"Maybe... if you dressed like Caelan..."
"His clothes would drown me," Rowan chuckled.
"So, I know you will tell me more on the journey, but... why Wilde?"
"There's something I need her help with."
"Must be pretty serious," Liss sighed.
"Yes. So when I tell you about it, remember, you cannot talk to anyone about it, not even me, when we return."
"Rowan. Is your life in danger?"
"In a manner of speaking." He sighed. "Look... We can come up with a code for discussing the situation, but we can't discuss it at all until we are on the road tomorrow. I know you're curious, but I really need the conversation to wait. You were wise to remind me of Mother's ears."
"I understand," she nodded. "Well. I should go pack my bag. Who knows what sort of weapons you'll need on a mysterious trip?" Liss chuckled and pecked Rowan's cheek before taking their empty plates to set them on a table nearby. A servant made their way over to collect them almost immediately. Rowan sighed. He was anxious word of the trip would get back to their parents before they had even left.
As Liss walked away, Rowan stood and rubbed his face. He wanted Caelan with him, more than anything. He wanted to feel his strong arms around his body; he wanted to hear the rumble of his voice. Rowan practically broke into tears on the spot but swallowed them back. He headed to his apartment and tasked his assistant chamberman with drawing him a bath.
As the night fell, Rowan felt himself growing deeply tired. He sighed and eased into the tub once it was full and hot. He toyed with the linen lining the elegant tub, and slowly washed himself. He knew it was like to be the last bath he had for a few days, and luxuriated as long as he could by his fireplace. He didn't want to emerge even long after the water cooled, still enjoying the lavender scent of his soap as he rested. He closed his eyes and allowed himself to daydream for a short while. Images of Caelan filled his mind and he let out a soft sigh, stroking his belly absently. He wondered what it would be like to be simple peasants together, to have a small cabin in the woods, to raise livestock and a garden and raise their family together. He smiled to himself as the pleasant images comforted him. He sat up and sighed.
"Are you ready to emerge, sir?" His servant asked. He held up a soft, clean towel for his liege.
"Never, Maximus, but emerge I shall nonetheless." He hauled himself from the water and allowed Maximus to wrap him in the towel. He wiped his face gently and closed his eyes. "Max, please lay out my brown trousers, dark green shirt, and the brown leather coat my mother bought me."
"Right away, sir. With your riding boots, perhaps?"
"Indeed, yes," he smiled. "I'll also need a hat. Something understated."
"That is unlike you, sir. Are you quite all right?"
"Yes, I merely need to pay an old friend a visit and do not wish to attract much attention on the road." He started braiding his wet hair and paused. "Scissors, Maximus, please."
"Sir?"
"I wish... to cut my hair."
"You have not done so in many years, sir." He brought the scissors even as his words protested.
"It is true. And, again, I need to escape notice. My subjects know my typical clothes, my hair, my general impression." He divided his hair into sections and braided them to make the cutting easier. As red curls landed at his bare feet, he sighed.
"I don't suppose it is worth anything asking where you are going, sir?" Maximus asked softly, his voice just shaking. He was a few years younger than Rowan, and had been his assistant chamberman for just over a year as he learned from Marvin. In that time, he had become quite close to his prince.
"No, unfortunately, I must remain intentionally mysterious, but I appreciate your care." He smiled. "Besides, the less I tell you, honestly, the better for you if my mother attempts to interrogate you."
"I see I will not be accompanying you? What about Marvin?"
"No, Max. Not this time. It's just Liss and me, I'm afraid. I thought about it, and I have decided it is too dangerous to bring anyone else along."
"I see." He bit his lip, unable to totally hide his disappointment.
"I will be back within a few days. Enjoy a brief respite from my constant demands," Rowan smiled charmingly. "If it pleases you, you might visit the stables and lavish attentions and affections upon a particular stablehand you find yourself sweet upon?"
"I suppose I could, sir." He blushed.
"I am sure he would enjoy this," Rowan smiled. Maximus handed him his lilac silk pajamas and he took them with a soft smile. "You are a good lad, you have more than earned the break, you know."
"You are kind to me, sir." Maximus went to lay out the travel clothes as Rowan put on the pajamas. "Shall I pack you a bag?"
"No. If you do it, it will be so neat that anyone will suspect me of being high born. You are simply too talented at your job." He went to his wardrobe and sighed. "Good god, who designed these clothes? Oh right, that was me." He chuckled and looked for some of the plainer things he owned, shoving them haphazardly in a canvas bag.
"That does not mean your highness has to ruin them!" Max gasped.
"They will be all right, I promise," Rowan smiled. "I will simply have plenty of work for you upon my return."
"I see this." Max sighed. Rowan patted his cheek and smirked. "This wouldn't have anything to do with Sir Caelan, would it, sir?"
"And what would you know of him, Max?"
"Who do you think helped him sneak in during that storm, your highness?" He crossed his arms as he sat upon Rowan's desk chair.
"You're a good lad, and a bright one," Rowan smirked. "Sir Caelan is away on a mission for the king at this time. His return date is unknown to me."
"That is unfortunate. I hoped he would accompany you on this mysterious journey."
"I hoped as well, and yet, here we are. Liss will be my guard. She is plenty accomplished and well-trained."
"She is quite excellent. Have you witnessed her training, sir?"
"Not of late," sighed Rowan. "I have been so overwhelmed with my parents and the pressure to properly court."
"I understand," Max smiled. "Is there anyone you find acceptable?"
"Not that I know of."
"It would be difficult for them to beat out your love."
"Indeed. And, I will likely have to wed someone else." He sighed. "Despite my current efforts. That being said, I have not yet given up."
"Very good, sir. I will deep clean your chambers while you are gone, likely."
"Please take a break," Rowan chuckled. "Although I cannot stop you if you truly wish to clean."
"That is true." Max grinned.
"Please take this to the kitchens." He gave Max the note containing his directions for the food he wanted. "Then you may retire for the evening. Please tell Marvin to also enjoy the respite." He gave him a small gold coin. "Perhaps take your stablehand for a drink, on me."
"Sir, you are generous with me," Max smiled. "Thank you."
"You've more than earned it." He handed him a second coin. "Now go, and enjoy the next few days. I will send for you upon my return."
"Very good, sir, I look forward to your return, and to hearing about your journey."
"Good night, Maximus."
"Good night, Prince Rowan." Maximus bowed respectfully and left. Rowan went to the window and looked out upon the courtyard. He waited for Maximus to emerge and head towards the stables, content with the loyalty and service of his chambermen. He ran a hand through his short hair and smiled. It felt fresh. New. He stood a little taller and crossed his arms over his chest. As he opened the window, he smelled the first hints of autumn on the evening air and took a deep breath. Change was coming.