Chapter 5

"Felix~ I made some new inventions," Fiona proclaimed excitedly as she came out from her den with her hair unkempt and a smudge of ink on her right cheek. It is a normal sight for Felix, who currently sitting behind the counter. He took a handkerchief from the drawer and gave it to Fiona who took it graciously after Felix gave a 'your cheek' gesture. 

While wiping the smudge, Fiona added with a grin, "And as usual my kind-hearted brother, please help me test it."

There aren't any customer anyways and Felix himself started to get bored, he stood up and playfully follow Fiona whims as usual, "As you wish my lovely sister."

While Felix locked the front door, Fiona brought out a brown metallic briefcase and wore her observation glasses. These unique glasses were her own creation, designed to assist her in breaking down and understanding magic formulas with greater efficiency. The siblings ventured towards the backyard, where Felix had set up his shooting practice area. It was here that Gareth had previously taught Felix how to use the rifle, honing his skills in preparation for real hunts in the wintry forest.

"You are going to love it." Fiona laid down the briefcase and opened it.

"A gun?" Felix questioned, eyeing the item curiously. Inside the case was a single sliver gun engraved with intricate pattern on its body. There are also some sort of box-like accessories besides it.

"Yep with an infinite bullet as long as there is mana around you. Give it a try."

Fiona handed Felix the silver gun. He get the feel on the weight before aiming at the target. When he pulled the trigger, the bullet struck the tree with such force that the target paper disintegrated and a hole was made at the center of the tree. Fiona who stood silent the the side calmly observed the act.

I did expect it to be more powerful than a normal bullet but this is a bit over the top.

"What do you think?" Fiona inquired.

"It really is strong," Felix remarked. "If used against monsters, it would be incredibly effective, given their resilience. Otherwise, it could pulverize objects into pieces." Fiona agreed, making a mental note to adjust the power later.

"Currently the gun can shoot a non-attributed mana bullet. "Fiona started before pointing towards the box-like accessories in the briefcase. "I made some add-on accessories as well. I managed to create three elemental converters for now. The red converter converts the unattributed mana to fire element, blue is for water and the white one is for ice."

Fiona then took the white converter while Felix handed her the silver gun. Delicately, she slid the converter into an empty space beneath a push-to-open lid at the bottom of the gun handle. As she secured it in place, a satisfying click echoed in the air, signaling that the elemental converter was now integrated with the gun. With a small smile, Fiona handed the gun back to Felix, eager to see the results of their experiment.

"Try hit something," she said.

Felix nodded and shot at the wooden crate besides the poor tree he previously aimed. The moment the ice bullet get in contact with the wooden crate, it encapsulated the crate in a thick layer of glistening ice. After multiple trial and testing the varying effect he different elemental bullets had on their targets, Fiona is satisfied with the gun's overall performance.

"I guess another interesting item to be displayed at the shop then," Felix commented while he cleaning up the aftermath of their experiments.

"It's not for sale." Fiona said as she stowed the items back into the briefcase. "It yours."

Surprised by the sudden gift, Felix turned his head facing his twin sister. "Eh?" 

"You've been going out much lately right."

It is nearing the end of the year and during this time, vicious monsters and demonic beasts would roam around here. For hunters, it was a treacherous period when the tables could turn, and they could become the hunted instead. Gareth had issued a stern warning to the twins, cautioning them not to go outside during this perilous season. Living at the edge of town put them at even greater risk, as the monsters were known to prowl the outskirts, seeking prey.

For the past few years, the twins had relied heavily on Gareth's support. However, now that he had become a full-fledged adult and was involved in the northern hunter association keep a watch out and protect the towns in the area, his responsibilities had multiplied significantly. This period was typically the busiest time for him, leaving the twins feeling immensely grateful for his help but also concerned about burdening him further. With a desire to lighten Gareth's load, Felix took it upon himself to frequently go hunting, ensuring they had enough food to sustain them during that period.

"I thought it would help if I made an extra weapon that you can use anytime," Fiona admitted, revealing her desire to support her brother in any way she could.

Since this ability is the only thing I have after all.

Fiona lacked the culinary skills to cook, and hunting was not in her repertoire either. She couldn't deny the fear that sometimes crept into her mind, worrying that one day Felix might not return from his hunts. Still, she kept her anxieties to herself because she knows it is something he needs to do for them to fill their stomach. Her ability, though it can be considered as a cheat ability, it isn't omnipotent as there are some rules and limitation she need to follow. Or perhaps, it because the one who wield it is her that the ability isn't omnipotent. Even so, she would not dwell on it too much as Fiona knew too well that it is only because of this ability that she managed to stay alive until now.

"I'll give it to you later once I make some adjustments on it."

"Thanks sis. I'll use it well."

As Felix and Fiona made their way towards the back door, a gentle breeze rustled through the surrounding trees, carrying with it a sense of tranquility. Amidst the serene atmosphere, something peculiar caught their attention. A small, delicate object started to circle around them, its graceful dance capturing their curiosity. With eyes fixed on the mesmerizing sight, they watched as the mysterious object danced with the wind. Slowly, the object descended, gracefully gliding down until it softly landed on Felix's outstretched hand.

Hmm? A letter.

A familiar name written at the bottom corner of the envelope. Their gazes met, a mix of surprise and curiosity reflected in their eyes, before they simultaneously decided to unseal the letter. Fiona leaned in closer to catch a glimpse of the letter's content.

[To my dear friends...]