Chapter 13: Down the Pipe

Start from the beginning

"Can someone pass the bread?"

"Yeah but what's with the outfits? Plumbers wearing white gloves?"

Sonic just kept listening to the dinner conversation. Everything needs a trademark because not everything has to look the same, and Mario was true about that. Sonic heard Mario's mom to not listen to them. Is this what is family is like when Sonic's not around?

"Dad? What did you think?"

"I think you're nuts. You don't leave a steady job for some crazy dream. And the worst part, your bringing your brother down with you. Also, do me a favor and don't speak to Maddie's kids anymore, they're a bad influence."

A tear escaped down Sonic's face. How could they say that? Is he really a bad influence? Was Mario really bringing his brother Luigi down? All of it really made Sonic question their friendship.

"Well thanks, dad. Thanks for your support."

Sonic let's out a breathily sigh of sadness. Mario noticed his phone and he realized that he accidentally butt-dialed his friend. Poor Sonic overheard the whole conversation.

"Oh! Hey... Sonic. How much of that did you hear?"

There was a moment of silence. Then after some quick thinking, Sonic spike into the phone.

"Enough to know your family thinks I'm a bad friend and that your dad thinks I'm not good enough. I... I guess... I guess we shouldn't see each other anymore. Goodbye, Mario. It was nice knowing you...." Sonic said, fighting tears.

He hangs up. How could Mario's family say that stuff about him and his own business? But... did they actually mean that stuff? Were they just joking? Maybe... yet... that stuff could just be their own personal opinions. Sonic holds his Nezuko Kamado plushie and stares at the ceiling. What can he do to take his mind off of what he just heard? He gets out of bed and heads over to one of the windows and just stares out at the stars.

Sonic turns on the tv and just watches he news and notices that it's eight forty three at night. He digs into his satchel to pull out the feather of Longclaw and he thinks to himself.

"What would you do?"

He stuffs the feather back in his bag, then gets a text from Mario and he looks at it.

"Hey! Sorry that you heard all that. I didn't know I butt dialed you. Please don't listen to the crap my dad or what my uncles said about you. My uncles were just screwing around and my dad is just making up excuses. Please forgive me. I do want to see you again, just not right now. Maybe tomorrow when I have the day off. Understand that my family just scolds me for following my own path and you are not a bad influence. You're an amazing kid and I don't want you to forget that, and even if the past or someone you loved back then slows you down, you have to learn to let go so you can keep moving forward. I hope you can understand. Talk to you later, Sonic."

Sonic wipes a tear from his left eye and softly smiles. He felt a sense of relief knowing that Mario was sorry that he had to hear what the plumbers family said. Sonic just types back and responds with a sincere thanks.

"I understand. Bye, Mario. And remember, you're not bringing your bro down, you're achieving your dream with him. See ya."