Chapter 12: Hellhounds and Injuries

(Third Person POV)

After a nice day of lunch, the family begins to walk back to the apartment. Brooklyn isn't all that bad, but the blue blur does miss Green Hills a lot. As Sonic looks at his phone and sees photos from JoJo, he looks back on Rachel. Was he too hard on her? He is gentle, but scary when he gets mad. He doesn't know where he gets all this rage from because he's never really been angry at anyone except Eggman. Was it from a repressed memory? Who knows.

As the family get closer to the apartment, Sonic notices something... no, an animal flying out of the penthouse next to their apartment!! Next thing he saw was Mario and Luigi holding onto the poor dog with a plunger. He was pretty sure that was the neighbor's dog Francis. Last week that retriever got aggressive and pounced onto Sonic for no reason at all. But this... why did that dog jump out of a window. Dogs don't feel suicidal! As Mario and Luigi pulled the dog back in, Sonic became concerned about what happened up there.

"Did you see that?!" Sonic exclaimed.

"Yeah, son I saw it." Tom said.

"Did they just save a dog from suicide?" Tails asked.

"It looks that way." Said Knuckles.

"Something tells me that a different story went on up there..." Maddie said.

Sonic sprints towards their apartment, but before their family could cross, a red light flashed up. He sees the Mario bros walking out of the other building. Together they made their way out. Their first assignment, and right away such a disaster happened. He sighed deeply.

"Mario?"

The plumbers lifted their heads to find Sonic with a concerned look and his green hoodie.

"Kid."

"Are you okay? What happened? I saw that dog fly out the window. Were you and Luigi trying to save it from suicide?" Sonic asked.

"No. Lu, broke the dog's bone on accident. The dog pretty much overreacted about it and attacked us, screwing up the bathroom in the process." Mario said.

Sonic was starting to feel less worried about what happened in there. Honestly, how can that dog just attack them over a broken bone? It can just get a new one.

"Oh... I'm sorry. Maybe the next one won't have any aggressive animals." Sonic replied, trying to keep Mario's hopes up.

"I'm sorry," Luigi said in a trembling voice. "This only happened because of me."

Mario looked up along with Sonic. There was his brother beside him, shoulders hunched up to his ears and clutching the toolbox strap with both hands. Was there something wet glinting in the corner of his eye?

"I stepped on that stupid bone, that's the only reason Francis got so mad at us."

Mario shook his head. "Don't say that. The first step is always the hardest. The important thing is that we don't let it get us down!"

"What your bro said, Luigi."

Luigi straightened his back and raised his chin. "Right!"

As the three friends begin to leave, Francis the dog opens up the front door with his snout. Seems like the owners were distracted by arguing. Mario, Luigi, and Sonic look scared.