Chapter 13: Down the Pipe

Start from the beginning

"You, okay brother?"

"No. I just feel like crap after what happened today. Tails got bit and I freaked out. I was so scared that he was gonna bleed out." Sonic said.

He was scared of losing people he cared about. How could he? He suffered so much and was all alone for a full decade! Being along for that long can really affect a person... or a Mobian in this case. Chronic loneliness can really damage one's mental health and physical health. It can give one sleep-problems, depression, and anxiety. He really didn't want to relive that trauma ever again. Knuckles gives him a hug out of sympathy.

"What happened to Tails, wasn't your fault. Jumpman, his brother, and dad did everything they could to help calm you down. Those owners need to keep a better eye on their dog." Knuckles said.

"True."

"We know. You guys had leftovers right?" Tom asked.

"Yes sir."

"Good. Now, both of you get ready for bed. Tomorrow we're gonna downtown to Manhattan to spend time at the park." Maddie said.

"Yes, Pretzel La— I mean mom."

Knuckles looked confused.

"You're not calling them by Pretzel Lady or Doughnut Lord anymore?"

"I just think mom and dad sound more appropriate." Sonic said.

"Makes sense." Said Knuckles.

Sonic goes to get a shower. He wondered what that song was and why did it sound so peaceful? Now that he thinks about it, he does recall Longclaw singing him that same melody one time before he went to sleep. Yet, he couldn't remember the lyrics. Did Longclaw write that song? Maybe, yet he could be wrong.

After a quick shower, he hits the bed and gets ready to fall asleep, only to hear his phone go off to see Mario calling him.

"Mario?"

There was no answer except chatter from his family going on.

"They give an Oscar for worst actors?"

Sonic keeps listening on the phone as Aunt Marie scolds Uncle Arthur. He hears Uncle Tony say that he saw Mario's tv commercial and the plumber asks his family what they think of it.

"I wouldn't quit your day job."

"Oops! He already did!"

How could they say that? Do they think he's a joke? Mario worked so hard to get his plumbing business up! He even made a website for it using SquareSpace! Sonic felt a little relieved when Mario's mom approved of it. Then he heard Mario complain about mushrooms on his spaghetti.

"Mario, seriously, what were you thinking with that commercial? And being inspired by a weird talking hedgehog?"

His eyes widened when he heard that. He's not weird, he's just unique, remarkable, and misunderstood.

"What? It's supposed to be funny. Plus Sonic is not weird. He's just a sweet kid who just wants to help others. Sure he may be from somewhere else, but he fits in here. His singing gave me inspiration to create a jingle for my business!"