Jealousy, Jealousy

Start from the beginning

Unfortunately, I had gotten to know Eddie better since we had started being...friends. I had learned his tells and I knew when to poke him to rile him up. And worse, he knew my tells and how to make me laugh or catch me off guard. It was infuriating and fun and made friendship even more confusing.

"So, Robin," Eddie started, setting his forearms on the table and leaning over to her. "Tell me about yourself."

She raised an eyebrow and gave him a withering stare. I smiled – Robin saw through people easily and made it a sport to shoot people down.

"Why would any information about me be relevant to you?" she asked dryly. I snorted and Eddie tried to remain calm and cool. He shrugged and beamed at her. I felt my heart catch at his smile, even though it wasn't directed at me.

"Just trying to get to know a pretty girl better," he replied, winking at her. She raised an eyebrow and smiled wryly.

"What if she doesn't want to get to know you?" she quipped. I snorted into my drink.

---

I gritted my teeth but kept smiling. I was doing everything I could to make Elle just as jealous as I was. Robin wasn't really my type, but she was cute, and I hoped that it would get under Elle's skin.

"I've been known to be persistent," I flirted. I glanced over at Elle and felt my stomach drop when I noticed she wasn't even paying attention. I pursed my lips together and tried to formulate a plan. Steve made her laugh and I wanted to set him on fire.

"I've been known to be a brick wall," Robin retorted, making Elle laugh. I smiled wickedly when a plan formed.

"Oh, I've dealt with my fair share of brick walls," I continued, taking my hand that was under the table and setting it on the inside of Elle's thigh. Neither Steve nor Robin could see what I did, but my smile grew when Elle turned red. Instead of backing down, I started tracing designs on her soft skin, delighting in how she started to stumble over her words and get flustered.

"So, Eddie – how was travelling, bud? Where was your favorite place to live?" Steve asked, genuinely interested. I continued to keep my hand on Elle and took a sip of my drink.

"It was good, man – I think I liked Ohio the best," I said, hoping Elle would get my joke. She laughed softly and I grinned. I was bummed I couldn't make her jealous, but I was thrilled that I still had an effect on her.

"Ohio? How interesting," Steve commented.

We continued to talk and drink together – I did everything in my power to rile Elle up and mark my territory secretly. She was bright red by the end of the night, and I was full of a toxic smugness. I squeezed her thigh once and moved my hand from her when Grant walked over.

"Alright, kids – we're closing up," he announced, signaling us to leave. Steve turned to Elle.

"Do you need me to walk you out to your car, Elle?" he asked. My jealousy tore through me again and I wanted to poke him in the eyes so he would stop looking at Elle. She shook her head.

"I actually need to do a quick spot check for tomorrow," she said. She turned to me. "Eddie, would you mind staying to help?"

The jealous monster that lived in my chest suddenly disappeared and it gave way to butterflies. I nodded and shot up, smiling at Steve.

"Good to see you, Harrington – nice to meet you, Robin," I said quickly wanting them to leave. I waited as Elle stood and hugged them goodbye. Steve lingered for a moment too long and I almost yanked her out of his hold. He said goodbye, watching Elle carefully and I followed close behind her.