3

One month later.....

June was at his workplace, sitting at the front desk as a cashier while his coworker stocked new items. When his shift was finished, he was ready to leave the place.

As he bid his coworker goodbye before leaving, June was heading back to his friend's house. It had been a month since he and Kane had broken up.

June sighed, putting his earphones in his ears and walking at a normal pace. When he turned right onto the street, he caught a glimpse of a shadow from the corner of his eye. He took a quick glance and saw a silhouette right where he had just been walking. June had to calm his breathing, convincing himself that it was just his imagination - probably his eyes playing tricks on him.

As June walked, he pulled one of the earphones away from his ear, straining to listen and heard another pair of footsteps behind him. His heart pounded hard, as if jumping out of his chest, and he panicked, quickening his pace slightly.

June pushed his hands into his pockets, keeping one hand wrapped around his phone.

He could hear it. June was sure the footsteps behind him had quickened. He had to resist the strong urge to look back, as he was too afraid to see whoever it was.

June's breathing grew ragged as he walked, ready to run at any moment. His heart pounded and his stomach churned.

As blood rushed in his ears, the footsteps echoed loudly. Relief washed over him for a second when the crosswalk signal turned green. He ran to get to the other side of the street, not stopping. His pace quickened as he neared his friend's house, which was just a few blocks ahead.

Then he remembered that Kyler had given him a spare key to the house, as Kyler would be out for the day.

June didn't know if the person who had been following him was still behind him. He was too frightened to look back as he stopped in front of the door, hurrying to unlock it.

June's hands were shaking as he yanked the key out of his pocket. He was totally freaking out as he shoved the key into the keyhole, turning it and pushing the door open as he pulled the key out.

The short boy kicked the door shut and locked it immediately. He panted harshly, almost wheezing, as he leaned against the door and slid down.

June rested the back of his head against the door, catching his breath.

After his breathing calmed down, he moved away from the door and dropped the key on the counter.

What if he had still been followed?

With his disturbing thoughts, he paused and took a glance towards the windows, which were covered by the blinds. Unconsciously biting his lip, he walked over to the windows, slowly lifted one of the panels, and peeked outside.

No one. There was no one there. June didn't see anyone.

He let out a relieved sigh as he let the blinds drop back, shaking his head and going into the guest room upstairs.

Surely the person wasn't following him - June was probably just on the edge from all the stress and being alone in the dark.

June convinced himself of that all night, sleeping restlessly.

REWRITTEN 🖤