Witch With A Ring

Start from the beginning

Her email notifications were horrific.

"I'm fine, Ortiz, trust me." I assured her.

But she knew better.

Both her and Tristian.

I shook my head, putting a ring on.

A ring Tristian had gotten very good at making over these past few months.

"What? You know if my magic builds it hurts." I told them both as they gave me a look.

It wasn't like it was a big spell, it was super small and simple that it was just enough to burn off to help me...release that build up.

Looking down at my belt buckle, which was a hand.

I rolled my eyes, annoyed at the belt, but no one asked me what I wanted.

Ortiz asked me, "Are you sure? I know it's only been a few months. You don't have to..."

"I need to keep my apartment and my job is a part of that. Trust me." I argued.

The funny thing about teachers, we mostly called each other by last names.

Though since I was the youngest teacher in the lower school, everyone called me Fia and not by my last name of Hart.

I was the "baby".

"Garuda." The spell said as I activated the ring.

A little tiny mechanical and red garuda appeared and came to life when I put my ring in it.

"You know what to do, Chippy." I said to it and it flew off.

Tristian scoffed, "Why'd you name it that?"

I shrugged, "Just seemed right."

I looked at the flying, mechanical creature, "Go. Let me know if there's anything, got it?"

The mechanical and magical Garuda made a noise, I'm assuming which was a yes and flew off.

I smiled, the voice in my head and heart was quiet again.

"Are you okay, Fia? You can tell us..." Ortiz told me.

But again, I shook my head, "I'm fine. Just...I'm fine."

Yeah, that was convincing.

I sighed, cracking my neck and still feeling that demon inside me.

While satiated for now, it would be back.

So...I needed the distraction of parents and kids coming to meet us.

Moving in wouldn't be for another week.

"Well, I'm sure we need to get this show on the road. And I bet Castleberry is wondering where we are." I said, getting off the desk I was leaning on.

Castleberry was our team lead and new to the school, but still had more experience than me and Ortiz combined.

Ortiz nodded, knowing I wouldn't give anymore.

I couldn't.

*** **** ***
Too much stimulation.

Too many people.

And they knew that too, they were starting to realize that too.

"Are you okay?" A parent asked me.

I nodded, sweating profusely and I was back to hearing the voice in my head as it clearly needed to be used once more.

Smiling, I answered, "It's just hot, don't worry about it. I hope your kid is excited to be in my class."