36•"You are my favorite book to read"

Start from the beginning

He finished and forwarded. He sounded quite proud. Xavier, who had been silent the whole time, nodded his head in acceptance, his face expressionless as cold as ice.

"That's okay. Send the invitation card to my office," Xavier said in a dark, clear voice, the same voice I had heard him use when talking to me.

"Sure. By the way, won't you introduce me to this lovely lady beside you?" he said with a smirk on his face, his eyes moving up and down my body, making me uncomfortable. I shifted a little closer to Xavier until I felt him take a step ahead, shielding me behind him. I looked up at his face, only to flinch.

The raw anger was very visible, with a dare in his eyes, directed towards the guy to not look at me anymore. As soon as my body was hidden from him, I felt safe, warm, and happy. Unknowingly, I clutched his coat in my fist. Looking at Xavier's face, I knew that whoever this Colin guy was, he was in danger.

"I don't think it concerns you anyhow, right Colin?" Xavier gritted, his voice a whisper. His eyes were getting dark, and to my surprise, the smirk was wiped off Colin's face. Colin looked away when Xavier, not once blinking, stared at him.

Clearing his throat, Colin murmured a "right" and stood two steps away. Xavier slowly took a deep breath. Suddenly, his hand held mine, squeezing it, and his face returned to normal.

"Now that you're done with your work, I think you should take your leave. Or, you can stay and enjoy the hospitality, given by me.... personally."

That was a statement that made that guy look away, a tight smile on his lips as he nodded and took his leave.

Xavier stood straight until he was out of sight. He was silent, which made me silent too. I didn't know what to say. I had just witnessed a Xavier who is totally unknown to me - someone who is ruthless, aggressive, and merciless, just like they all define him.

"Let's go, kitten," I came out of my thoughts, hearing him. He was looking at me with the same soft look he always has with me. This is the Xavier I know.

I nodded, biting my lips. My mind telling me to clarify things. Xavier looked calm, which is normal for me, but my mind wasn't at rest. I decided to give him some explanation. Getting in the car, I fixed my seat belt, which he always double-checked.

"Xavier?" I was hesitant to start.

"Hmmm?" His focus was still on driving.

"I-I didn't saw him com-.."

Closing my eyes tightly, I started to speak, but stopped when I felt the car suddenly stop. I opened my eyes to look at him, who was looking at me with a frown. I gulped and opened my mouth to speak again, but his fingers on my lips stopped me.

"Shhh... Kitten, I don't need your explanation. Not now, not ever. I trust you. More than I trust myself. You never need to explain yourself to me, to anyone. Si?"

His voice was serious as hell, but his words made my heart flutter. My heart, which was running a marathon, skipped a few beats. I felt an unknown emotion inside my heart.

"This was a very small incident. But know one thing, no matter what, I'll always support you. Even if you are wrong. As long as I am alive, you will get everything on your feet. And nobody, I repeat, nobody has any right to question it. Yes?"

I kept looking at him, an unknown feeling erupting inside me. His words. They made me feel butterflies. They made me feel the intensity of the emotions I always see in his eyes.

My eyes automatically filled with respect for him. But it wasn't just respect. The fact that he said all this and I know he meant it made me feel special. I felt a tingling feeling inside my heart. Remember the way he said he trusts me.