Chapter Fifteen.

Mariposa sat at her desk and she looked at the Korean language books that sat in front of her. The lady's word rang through ears for days and she tried to push what she said away and Sanguk even told Mariposa that the lady was just not a good person and to let what she said to Sanguk to know get to her but Mariposa had never heard such a thing said about her before and it didn't feel right to her. Not only that, Sanguk can't necessarily get angry at the woman because in his culture she knew it was looked down upon to address your elders in a harsh manner but Sanguk willingly was going to but Mariposa stopped him and she somewhat wished she didn't.

It probably would made her feel better but Mariposa wasn't even sure if it would.

Mariposa closed the books and she watched her cat Cola hop on the table, he came and brushed his head under her chin making her lift her head. Mariposa's eyes watered as she looked at all the letters and notes that Sanguk wrote her ever since his English improved.

A knock came from her door and Mariposa turned her head towards the door, "Come in," She announced and the door opened slowly. Mariposa's father opened the door and Floriano came walking in with a cup of tea, he smiled gently at Mariposa then he sat the tea on her desk then he rubbed her back. "It's been three days since you haven't come out of your room. Are you okay?" Floriano asked and Mariposa rubbed Cola's head as she held her black cat that purred and pawed gently against her skin.

"I'm fine," Mariposa answered.

Floriano looked at his daughter for a moment and he sat in the chair next to her desk and he exhaled. "Sanguk came by," Floriano said and Mariposa nodded, she knew he did but honestly didn't even want to see him at all. She felt embarrassed, guilty even though this situation alone was not her fault.

"He brought that kimchi rice thing you like so much," Floriano said.

Mariposa nodded and she sat Cola down, she rubbed her head and she looked at her father. "Can I talk to you about something?" Mariposa asked and Floriano immediately scooted in and he nodded his head frantically, he had been waiting impatiently for the past three days for this moment. Lana was out of town and Lana was usually someone that Mariposa emotionally leaned towards and for once, he wanted her to come to him even if it was because Lana wasn't there.

"Have your friends or people you know talked about Momma when you two first got together?" Mariposa asked Floriano.

Floriano paused and he rubbed his growing beard, he nodded his head slowly, "Of course," Floriano said.

Mariposa bit the inside of her cheek as her eyes trailed to the floor, Floriano watched her hesitate on what she wanted to say and usually, he would push for Mariposa to say but taking a pointer from Lana, he calmed himself and he cleared his throat. "My cousins and my friends used to call your mother very nasty things and told me that I would be better off with a Cuban woman. Your mother was often told that I was only with her to get a green card even though I'm American born. No one ever thought to think that I was with your mother because I loved her, it was... never that and it used to hurt your mother a lot that she used to cry about it often and you know that's hard for your mother too since you know... she is very strong-willed," Floriano explained to Mariposa.

Floriano grabbed Mariposa's hand gently, he gave it a gentle squeeze, "I want you to know that whatever has been said to you is out of pure jealousy and you will never be those things. You are the most smartest, the most intelligent young woman I've ever met. As soon as you came into this world and you were crying so softly, I knew you would make me so proud one day," Floriano said and Mariposa smiled widely as she looked at her father.

Floriano smile softly and he leaned forward, he pressed his forehead against Mariposa. Mariposa smiled wider and she laughed as he pressed against her head a little, it was something that he hadn't done to her since she was young and it used to tickle her so much that she would cry. "Stop being so hard on yourself, live your life, and receive the love you deserve because you deserve it," Floriano whispered to her.