Chapter 21 - A Rejected Proposal

Several crowds had gathered when they saw the glass elevator hovering over the Savoy Hotel in London. As it descended, they all broke into cheers and applause as they recognized several of the famous children.

The elevator landed just outside the front entrance and the doors opened. Nolan and Mr. Connelly led the way out, with Nolan still holding both the girls' hands.

As Mr. Wonka and the rest of the adults stepped out, they were immediately mobbed by paparazzi crowds, with Mr. Wonka using his hat to hide his face as much as he could. Thankfully, the group were able to enter the hotel.

"My goodness, that's a lot of people!" Charlie breathed in astonishment.

"I know, right?" Nolan replied. "I imagine it's mainly because Mr. Wonka hasn't been seen in public since 1995. Makes me wonder what he was up to when the year 2000 hit."

Nolan looked around. "Anyways, where's the elevator again, Dad?"

"Should be down the hall here." Mr. Connelly responded as he led them to the elevator at the far side of the hallway.

"Are we going to meet your mother?" Charlie asked as the group got in.

"Isn't she a cellist for the New York Philharmonic Orchestra?" Mr. Salt inquired further.

"Yep," Nolan nodded. "Trust me, you'll love her."

Within a few seconds, they had arrived at the 3rd floor.

"Knock knock, Mom!" Nolan called out as he entered. "We've got guests!"

Lyla Connelly had returned from a shopping day in London, and had styled her hair for the outing. When she saw who was with her husband and her son, she stopped dead.

"Louis! Nolan!" She exclaimed. "What is the meaning of this?"

"Well," Nolan replied. "I believe introductions are in order."

He motioned to Violet, who stood behind him. "This is Violet Beauregarde, you remember her from the interview, and her mother Scarlett."

He then motioned to Charlie who was on one side of him. "This is Charlie Bucket and his grandfather Joe."

He then put an arm around the British girl standing on the other side of him. "And this is Veruca, and her father Mr. Rupert Salt."

"And this," Nolan gestured to the man in the long coat. "This is the legend himself, Mr. Willy Wonka."

Mrs. Connelly's eyes widened in utter shock. "Is... is it really?"

"Yeah!" Mr. Wonka nodded with a smile. "It's wonderful to meet you, you and Mr. Connelly have surely raised your son well!"

Mrs. Connelly blushed a thin shade of red at the compliment.

"Mom, we don't really have much time to explain what's going on, so it's probably best if you come with us." Nolan said. "We'll explain in a little bit, we're off to go see Charlie's family. Mr. Wonka was talking about something that has to do with the both of us."

Mrs. Connelly agreed in a blink, and soon the elevator was off again, headed straight for the Bucket house.

"When do you think they'll be back?" Mrs. Bucket asked her husband as she was preparing dinner.

Mr. Bucket, reading a book, glanced up at his wife. "Hard to know, dear."

Just then, there was a tremendous crash as the glass elevator came through the roof of the building. Mrs. Bucket leaped backwards in shock, while Mr. Bucket cowered on the sofa.