Chapter 19 - The Television Room and Mini-Mike

The doors of the lift opened, and the Teavee family, together with Charlie and his Grandpa Joe, Veruca and Mr. Salt, Violet and Ms. Beauregarde, and Nolan and his father, stepped out into a room that was a lot brighter than their eyes were used to.

"Here," Mr. Wonka walked over to a little rack beside the door of the room, where there lay several pairs of white goggles with black tinted lenses. "Put these on quick and don't take them off, whatever you do. This light could burn your eyeballs right out of your skulls, and we certainly don't want that, now do we?"

"Ah, so it's the type of blue light that you find in a television or a PC." Nolan concluded. "The stuff that makes your eyes hurt after, like, 2 hours."

"Exactly!" Mr. Wonka smiled. "It's just a lot stronger than what you usually find in those devices. That's why the Oompa-Loompas are all wearing protective suits."

Once the children had their dark goggles on, they were able to look around them in comfort.

The room was painted white all over. Even the floor was white, and there wasn't a speck of dirt or dust anywhere.

"This is the testing room for my very latest and greatest invention, Television Chocolate

"This is the testing room for my very latest and greatest invention, Television Chocolate." Mr. Wonka explained as he led them down a ramp. "One day, it occurred to me, 'Hey, if television can break up a photograph into millions and millions of tiny pieces and send it whizzing through the air, then reassemble it on the other end... why can't I do the same with chocolate? Why can't I send a real bar of chocolate through the television, ready to be eaten?'"

"That sounds absolutely brilliant!" Nolan exclaimed. "It'll change the world of science forever!"

Nolan could see one Oompa-Loompa sitting in a white bean bag chair, watching the television. He immediately recognized the woman on screen as Oprah Winfrey, as he had overheard the television when his mother watched the show.

"That's impossible." Mike said. "You don't understand anything about science, Nolan. First off, there's a difference between waves and particles. Duh! Second, the amount of power it would take to convert energy and matter would be, like, nine atomic bombs."

"Mumbler!" Mr. Wonka interrupted him. "Seriously, I cannot understand a single word you're saying."

"Okay Mike," Nolan cut in. "You said that there's a difference between waves and particles, right? Well, I don't mean for you to take offence to me correcting you, but there actually isn't a difference at all. You see, all energy and matter express the so-called 'wave-particle duality' where they can be regarded both as particles and as waves. Someone as science-oriented as you should be aware that this fact has been known since 1924. You most likely meant to say that there's a difference between energy and matter, which is much more relevant in this situation in that energy can easily be transmitted while matter cannot, which is what makes Mr. Wonka's Television Chocolate concept so amazing."