Chapter 4 - The First Two Finders

The very next day, Mrs. Bucket turned on the television to find that the first Golden Ticket had already been found. The television showed an eleven-year-old boy named Augustus Gloop, who hailed from Düsseldorf in western Germany. He had light skin, red hair and blue eyes, and was so enormously overweight that he looked as though he had been blown up with a powerful electric pump.

"I am eating ze Vonka bar, when suddenly, I am tasting something zat is not chocolate!" He spoke into a reporter's microphone with a heavy German accent. "Coconut? Nougat? Valnut? Peanut butter? Cocoa butter? Caramel? Sprinkles? Nein! So I look, and I find ze Golden Ticket!"

"Augustus! How did you celebrate?" A German reporter could be overheard in the background.

"More candy!" Augustus responded with a big smile on his face as he pulled two more candy bars from his pocket, and started to devour them, without unwrapping them.

"Ve knew Augustus vould find ze Golden Ticket." Mrs. Gloop told the reporters. "He eats so many candy bars a day that it vas not possible for him not to find one!"

Mrs. Bucket turned off the television, and the screen went black.

"Told you he'd be a porker." Grandpa George said with a faint smirk.

"What a repulsive boy!" Grandma Josephine added.

"Only five Golden Tickets left." Charlie stated.

"Now that they've found one, things will really get crazy."

"What do you make of that, Dad?" Nolan asked his father after they had watched the news broadcast of Augustus' finding.

Mr. Connelly laughed. "Absolutely disgusting."

Now the whole world seemed to be caught up in a mad chocolate-buying spree, everybody searching frantically for those precious remaining tickets. Fully grown women were seen going into sweet shops and buying ten Wonka bars at a time, then tearing off the wrappers on the spot and peering eagerly underneath for a glint of golden paper.

Children were taking hammers and smashing their piggy banks, running out to the shops with handfuls of money.

A notorious mobster in Italy robbed a bank of €10,000 and spent the whole lot on Wonka bars that same afternoon. When the authorities entered his home to arrest him, they found him sitting on the floor amidst mountains of chocolate, ripping off the wrappers with the blade of a long silver dagger.

The famous English scientist Professor Foulbody invented a machine that would tell you at once, without opening the wrapper of a bar of chocolate, whether or not there was a Golden Ticket hidden underneath it. The machine had a mechanical arm that would shoot out with tremendous force and grab hold of anything that had even the slightest bit of gold inside it, and it looked like the answer to everything. However, while the Professor was showing off the machine to the public at the sweet counter of a large department store in London, the mechanical arm shot out and made a grab for the gold filling in the back tooth of a duchess who was standing nearby. There was quite an ugly scene, and the machine ended up being smashed by the crowd.

Suddenly, on the day before Charlie's birthday, BBC News announced that the second Golden Ticket had been found. The lucky person was a girl named Veruca Salt, who lived with her wealthy parents in a mansion in Buckinghamshire, England. The television showed an 11-year-old girl with curly brown hair that reached to her shoulders, and icy light blue eyes. She wore a white-collared blouse with short, puffed sleeves, a maroon ribbon attached to the collar, beige tights, white ankle-length socks and black patent leather casual shoes with black soles.

Veruca was standing in their living room, holding the ticket out with both hands with a huge smile on her face. Her beaming father, Rupert Salt, stood behind her, with his wife beside him. Rupert Salt was the head of a huge conglomerate that specialised in nuts.

"Veruca? Can you spell that for us, please?" One of the reporters was heard asking.

"V-E-R-U-C-A. Veruca Salt." The girl responded, still smiling.

"Soon as my little Veruca told me she had to have one of these Golden Tickets, I started buying up all the Wonka bars I could lay my hands on. Thousands of them. Hundreds of thousands. I'm in the nut business, you see, so I say to my workers, 'Morning, ladies! From now on, you can stop shelling peanuts, and start shelling the wrappers off of these chocolate bars instead.' But three days went by and we had no luck. The wait was terrible. My little Veruca got more and more upset each day. Well, gentlemen, I just hated to see my little girl unhappy like that. I vowed I would keep up the search until I could give her what she wanted. Finally, I found her a ticket on the evening of the fourth day."

"She's even worse than the fat boy." Grandpa George said, disgusted.

"I didn't think that was really fair, she didn't find the ticket herself." Charlie said.

"Don't worry, Charlie." Grandpa Joe responded. "That man spoils his daughter, and no good ever comes out of spoiling a child like that."

"The heck was that?" Nolan exclaimed. "That dad is really... ugh. I'm really glad I'm not a spoiled brat like her."

Both his parents nodded in agreement. "There's nothing good that comes out of behaviour like that, trust me Nolan." Mrs. Connelly stated.

"But," Nolan continued. "I have to admit, she's kinda cute."

"Charlie, your mum and I thought maybe you'd want to open your birthday present tonight." Mr. Bucket said as he and Mrs. Bucket entered the room.

Charlie looked down at his birthday present; it was none other than one of the biggest-selling Wonka bars to date.

"A Wonka Whipple-Scrumptious Fudgemallow Delight!" He exclaimed. "I think I'd better wait until morning."

"Like hell." Grandpa George replied abruptly.

"If you add our ages together, we're three hundred and eighty-one years old. We don't wait!" Grandpa Joe added.

"Charlie, you mustn't be too disappointed if you don't get one." Mrs. Bucket said kindly.

"Whatever happens, you'll still have the candy." Mr. Bucket spoke up.

Very slowly, Charlie's fingers began to tear open one small corner of the wrapping paper. Everyone leaned forward in anticipation.

Then suddenly, as though he couldn't bear the suspense any longer, Charlie tore the wrapper right down the middle, and onto his lap there fell... a light-brown creamy bar of chocolate.

There was no sign of the third Golden Ticket anywhere.

"Ah, well. That's that." Grandpa Joe shrugged.

Charlie looked up. "We'll share it."

Grandpa Joe refused outright. "Oh, no, Charlie. Not your birthday present."

But Charlie was persistent. "It's my candy bar, and I'll do what I want with it."

With that, the boy broke the bar of chocolate into pieces and handed them out to everyone; they all ate their pieces slowly, savouring every single bite.