ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴡᴇɴᴛʏ ꜱɪx

━━ 🌹 ━━

━━ 🌹 ━━

"ɪꜰ ʟᴏᴠᴇ ɪꜱ ᴡʜᴀᴛ ʏᴏᴜ ɴᴇᴇᴅ,

ᴀ ꜱᴏʟᴅɪᴇʀ ɪ ᴡɪʟʟ ʙᴇ."

ᴛʜᴇ ᴄᴀʙ

━━ 🌹 ━━

"I could have killed my mother the day she murdered Gelda," I whisper the words in realisation as I fall to my knees and my fingers painfully dig into my hair, my breathing becoming unsteady.

You had the power to do so.

"That was why she attacked first," I say, squeezing my eyes shut. "Before I could do anything."

You did not become the ruler of the Demon race the day you killed your mother.

"My true magical powers awakened the moment Gelda was killed right in front of me," I choke the words. "That's why my mother couldn't kill me; I had become the new Demon Queen."

You became the Demon Queen the day I died, Queen (Y/n).

"Thus my mother's only option was to get rid of my memories of what had happened that day. But she wasn't able to remove every single detail because I had already unconsciously ensured that my two best friends wouldn't be removed from any of my memories beforehand."

Your mother did not have the power to remove me from your memories.

"Lenora," I whisper my sister's name. "I was the one who blessed you all those years ago."

Lenora has been marked. It almost feels like a mark of protection.

"At that moment, I knew for certain that my mother would try to use one of us as her host in the future. So before she could alter my memories, before I could fully unleash my true magical powers, I quickly marked my second eldest sister; a mark that would ensure our mother would never be able to take over her body; a very powerful mark that no being would recognise."

The God who blessed you didn't want anyone knowing or finding out about it.

"I only marked Lenora because I was still so angry with our eldest sister," I say quietly, wincing. "No matter how hard I try to convince myself right now, I did have a choice to protect Elizabeth as well. But in the end, I just chose not to. I didn't mark her because I believed she deserved any curse placed upon her; I really thought she deserved every dreadful thing headed her way."

How did it all come to this? How the hell did I become a God just because my friend was killed?

At first, Aeryn did it to ensure the peace she foresaw. But she then grew to care for you.