🍞 naim (untitled)

It was Naim Iman's third Eid without his parents. Nothing big. He was a grown up after all. People his age tend to lose their loved ones to age and time. Unlike his situation, though. Naim lost his Ibu to an accident, and his Abah to the law.

Again, he was a whole adult. Naim sure has no problem celebrating Eid with his younger sister at Nenek's house for three consecutive years. Everything was lively like always. Mak Ngah screaming on top of her lungs trying to control her 8 year-old triplets, Pak Ngah watching TikTok on full volume in the living room, Naila, Naim's only sister, babbling about how Nenek just won't let Naila doll her up, and other hullabaloos.

"Dah, dah, everyone in the living room now! Salam session!" shouted Izzat, the middle aged cousin that slings sampin across his baju melayu. Izzat has always been the family's unofficial master of ceremonies, being gifted with well-liked humour and a deafening voice projection.

Like two years before, Nenek would sit down on the stale golden arm-chair that Pak Su thrifted for RM60. Everyone, which actually only consists of Mak Ngah's family, Izzat's siblings, Pak Su, Naila and Naim, would line up to kiss Nenek's hand, ask for forgiveness, and wish 'Selamat Hari Raya'. It was one of their favourite moments during Eid. Nenek would wear her best smile when everyone is gathered together. For the family, nothing is more precious than witnessing Nenek being genuinely happy, especially after her recent depressive episodes.

Like two years before, Naim would always stand at the very end of the line. Patiently waiting for his turn to have a little moment with Nenek. The joke he created was repeated in his head several times, wanting to give Nenek the best of laugh.

And exactly like the two years before, the moment Naim tried to reach Nenek's hand, the woman would stand up and say "Not in a hundred years. Not even in my next life." without even looking.

The mood dampened for several seconds as everyone had no idea how they should react. Just like two years before

"Ha, déjà vu," said Naim to himself, jokingly. He stayed in the same position quietly, staring at his unanswered hand he had held out to Nenek.