Chapter 7: family appointment

1 week later
Ben
It was finally time. It was time to tell the kids he was leaving once the divorce was finalized. He inhaled deeply and gathered his courage. Ben knew this would be a difficult conversation, but it had to be done.

"I'm gonna tell them right now," he said to Grace.

"Okay."

"Are you not going to come?"

"No. I'm sorry, but you're the one leaving."

Hearing that made Ben angry. He didn't have much of a choice. Grace was kicking him out. He wanted to scream and yell, but he knew it wouldn't help. He just walked away, frustrated and helpless. He entered the living room to find his two children playing patty cake together. He couldn't help but smile at the sight, despite the pain he felt. He cleared his throat and began to explain the situation.

"Olive. Cal. I have something to tell you..."

The children stopped playing and looked up at their father. He took a deep breath and said, "I'm sorry, but I'm leaving... after the divorce is final." He said, crouching down.

"Why?" Cal asked.

"Your mom wants me to leave. This is the way it has to be."

Cal nodded, his face full of sadness. He knew Grace was right. He wished things could have been different, but he knew it was impossible. Ben pulled Cal into a hug.

Cal hugged Ben back and took a deep breath. He closed his eyes and tried to let go of the sadness he was feeling. He knew he had to accept the situation and move forward.

"I'll always come visit," Ben said as he pulled away from the hug.

"We know," Olive said.

Ben then pulled Olive into a big hug as tears streamed down both faces. They stayed like that for a few moments until Olive pulled away.

"I wanna go with you, Dad."

"What? I don't even know where I'm going to stay."

"We can figure something out. You've got some time."

"Okay," Ben said, then stood up.

After that, he decided to take a drive.

Cal
"You're going to stay with Dad?"

"I guess. I don't want him out dealing with this on his own. You can come if you want. Mom won't be happy, but-"

"Not being happy is her normal behavior," Cal said, trying to lighten the mood.

"Sometimes. Yeah." Olive said, slightly laughing.

"How are you able to choose?" Cal asked.

"I don't know. I want to stay with both, but eventually, we're gonna have to choose who to spend our most time with. Whether that's mom or dad. I mean we'll see both, but I don't know how often."

"Where's Dad and you going to stay?"

"Right now I have no idea, but we'll figure something out. You're staying with mom?"

Cal shrugged his shoulders.

"Mom would freak if both of us were to stay with Dad."

"At least she'd have the house to herself."

"Yeah," Olive said, then paused. "I don't want to be separated from you, nor do I want Mom and Dad."

"Yeah, I'm gonna go upstairs."

"Okay."

Later
Grace
Grace was cooking lunch for the kids, when Ben walked in the kitchen.