Chapter 8: they know

Saanvi
"Let's go back inside," she suggested.

"Sure."

They returned to the room and Saanvi glanced at Ben before looking away.

"Cal should be ready soon. I'll be back."

Saanvi left the room and went into the hallway where she made a phone call.

"Hey," Mick answered. "What are you up to? Oh, let me guess! Work?"

"Hahaha, I never would have guessed," she replied sarcastically. "The whole family is here... and now Grace is just..."

"Grace," Saanvi interrupted. "Yes. We know you have feelings for Ben, and I think Grace understands that too."

"Not me... I don't have feelings for Ben Stone!"

"Okay, if you say so. Wait, can you hold on for a minute? I'm about to meet my new partner. The captain won't tell me who it is and keeps calling my name."

"New partner, huh? How are things with you and Jared?"

"Yeah. It didn't work out. Anyway, I have to go before I have any more problems. Goodbye!" she said and ended the call.

"Okay..." Saanvi said, taking her phone away from her ear.

Michaela
The captain calls out, "Michaela!"

"Oh yes, I apologize, I'll be there right away." She yells back.

Michaela slides her phone in her back pocket, heads to the captain's office, and encounters Drea.

"Michaela Stone?" Drea says, extending her hand. "I'm D-"

"Drea Mikami," Mick interrupts, shaking her hand. "I already know."

"How do you know that?" the captain asks. "She's a new transfer."

"Oh... my mistake," Mick says, releasing Drea's hand. "I'll go... yeah. We'll talk later. Partner."

Michaela exits the captain's office, closes the door, and hits her head as she realizes her blunder.

"Hey Stone, relax," Jared reassures her.

"We're not partners," Mick says, letting go of her head.

"That doesn't mean I won't talk to you."

"Well, if we hadn't argued so much, none of this might have happened."

FLASHBACK TO A FEW DAYS AGO:
Jared smiled as he put a cup of coffee on her desk and said, "Hi Mick."

"Thank you."

"What are you working on?"

"Well you know me, nothing," Mick said, looking at the computer.

"Right."

"Actually, you can have it. I don't want it anymore."

"Are you serious? There may be no coffee left. Last time I checked, there wasn't alot left."

"It's fine," Mick says.

Michaela faces Jared. She then tries to give him the cup, but just as Jared is about to take it, her finger slip and the coffee spills all over Jared's clothes.

"Mick!" He yelled.

"Oh my God, I'm sorry Jared," she said, standing up and covering her mouth in shock. "Please let me help you."

"No, is fine. I'll walk around with coffee stains on my shirt," He said, looking down at his shirt.

"Yes, sorry about that..."