𝐏𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝟏: 𝐭𝐨𝐭𝐤 𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐤 𝐱 𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐝𝐞𝐫

Start from the beginning

I felt some tears fill the corner of my eyes as I lowered them to my gloved hands before carefully treading away from his side towards Zelda's instead, hearing the way she began to talk about the murals and their possible connection to the royal family while all I could do was keep the trembling of my lips at bay, hoping that a sob won't slip past them - Zelda's smile towards the murals being brighter than the twirling flames of the torch.

My eyes widened, suddenly feeling her fingers intertwine with my own, "y/n! Link! Look at this!" She quickly dragged me behind her, "Do you think they all depict the same legend?" She gasped, pulling us into a halt while Link's torch flames flickered from the movement, "This engraving... it's similar to the statues we saw earlier! A depiction of a Zonai! And these figures...they look like Hylians!" Her fingers slipped from my own as a blackened flake floated past my eye, "This mural suggests that the Zonai had descended from the heavens."

She quickly handed me the Purah Pad before making her way to another engraving, her eyes slightly widened as her fingers reached out towards it but were too afraid to touch the cold, aged stone, "My ancestors...it was said that they were born from a union with Gods who had descended from the heavens. And these murals tell a similar story, and if they are accurate, then the Gods mentioned were the Zonai! They must have forged a relationship with the Hylians of that time to establish..." Her eyes turned towards us in excitement, "the Kingdom of Hyrule!"

My eyes glanced over across the next mural, feeling some sort of apprehension fill my stomach as my eyes stared at the figures...the one seemed to have been taking something from the other. "Hey, Zelda, take a look at this", I called, temporarily forgetting the pain that numbed my skin while she came towards me, her eyes flickering to my own before glancing towards the stone of the mural, "He seems to be stealing an incredible power from the young Kingdom..." I tore my eyes to look at Link from over my shoulder, feeling them widen while my chest only tightened. "Something isn't right", I whispered to him, "we need to leave Link. We have to!" "-And then this shows the Demon King!", Zelda's voice rang through the shadows, causing me to look at her unwavering curiosity, "if this creature depicted here really does represent the Demon King then...incredible! This mural must be the great war recorded in the royal histories!"

My chest slightly tightened at the way her voice only louden with every sentence, "This is the Imprisoning War and the events that led up to it!" She turned towards us with a jump to her step and a large satisfied smile spreading across her lips, "Link, y/n! This is a huge discovery!" Out of excitement, she quickly grabbed the slate from my hand and ran towards the murals, "I need to fix the order of the photos I took! This is beyond remarkable!"

I felt my fists clench itself as I cast my eyes towards the rocks that covered the rest, feeling the way Zelda's tone suddenly dripped in a hidden disappointment, "It looks like the rest of the murals are obscured..." Zelda placed the Pad back into my hands while Link handed her the torch, my eyes watching the ominous, black ooze slipping through the air. "Just what is this place? Maybe we'll find more answers ahead. Let's keep moving for now." "Zel...I really don't think we should", I said as I placed a hand upon her shoulder, "it feels like we shouldn't be here." "We won't go too far, we'll need the team if we do, so don't worry too much, y/n", she gave me a soft smile as I felt Link's fingers wrap around my wrist before silently bringing it down to my side while I lowered my head with a nod, "Alright."

With that, Zelda raised the torch, leading us towards the darkened corridor which lies dormant in the shadows of the walls. A slight pressure began to fill the air, causing its icy bite to graze across the skin of my neck while the walls of the passage narrowed, "The gloom grows heavier here", Zelda whispered.