4. Maybe saints and Ketterdam can coincide

Start from the beginning

 I started the dance by flicking my wrists forming too fireballs, the music started playing. I made the balls form into a large rope which I manipulated round my body, I did a twirl and brought the rope down to the stage, the stage caught flame and I descended to my knees, I rise and am met with thunderous applause from the people, It feels weird, I'm not used to people actually accepting me, the only people who have are Kaz, Inej and Jesper.

After my show, I'm forced to stay in the dress by Marko, I am also met by Jesper and Inej, "One, you were absolutely stunning, and two, I have news so Kaz has called a meeting in Marko's wagon." I blush at Jesper's compliment and go straight to the wagon, I wonder what Jesper found out.

"I saw Alina." Jesper blurts out, "And your sure it was her?" Kaz asks with a skeptical look on his face. "I'm telling you, she's part Shu." he replies,

"When exactly did you see her?" 

"Just after midday, before (Y/n)'s show, which was absolutely amazing by the way." I blush again, for saints sake why am I so taken by simple compliments, it's pathetic. Oh, wait, I forgot I've been called derogatory names for the past four years, that's why. "What's in this room?" Inej asks, introducing herself to the conversation, "Fitting room. It's where she'll go to change for dinner" Kaz replies, "And that's where we will grab her. Out of the way clean lines of sight, easily controlled space. I like it." Arken interjects, "I'd like it too, if it had a door." Kaz retorts.

"It doesn't have a door?" I look at Kaz bewildered, "Not one that we can use. It's some sort of Grisha lock. It took a Materialki to open it." Kaz explains, Jesper looks down, is that shame I see on his face? I wonder what's wrong. "Is there no way to pick the lock?" Jesper asks.

"Actually, there is. I can get through the door." Arken states, "The locking mechanisms are Fabrikator designed, Iron cogs that slide into place without a latch, but for one of us to open it, we'll need a lodestone with a minimum 2000 gauss external strength, hard to find." he explains further, how the hell does he know so much about the room?

"And I'm guessing you have one of them?" I say, "smart girl." he pulls it out of his coat pocket, "You don't want to keep it on you for too long." he laughs. "Not if you're intending on having children someday." I recoil in disgust, "All right. Arken grabs the target." Kaz orders, "You want the new guy to grab the million-kruge package?" Inej asks, voice filled with skepticism. Why do I feel like Kaz is scheming against Arken here? "The new guy knows his way around Grisha locks, our futures depend on this. The rest of us will be setting up a lynx flush" 

"What the hell is a lynx flush?" I ask, "Lynx are pack hunters. Very smart. They'll clear a path for the prey." I nod my head in understanding, "Oh, so I grab the summoner and you clear the path?" 

"That's right. We do it before dinner." Kaz confirms with Arken, "You grab. (y/n) and I clear, Inej and Jesper make sure there's a fast way out."

~

I run down the stairs to the laundry room to meet Kaz for my guard uniform. He hands me the uniform, "Is it my size?" I ask, feeling slightly idiotic, "You have to ask?" he glares at me. I shut up and change quickly, we walk up the stairs together. I feel my heart lift at the fact that he isn't completely alone. We both watch the Inferni throw fireballs at each other. They seem happy doing this, they aren't afraid of showing what they are, would this be what my life was like if I was here instead of Ketterdam. But your happy now. I suppose I am, being with the dregs has been the best time I've ever known. My main memory being the one outside with Kaz. I felt serene because of what I was doing, and safe because he was there. His voice takes me out of my thoughts, "It's reflective glass, bounce the light into that, and people won't know whether it's coming or going." he whispers to me, "After all you've seen me do, you genuinely think that was a trick?"