Chapter 5

The next day, Ember and Wade couldn't drop off Vapor together. Wade had to start heading into work early. So if Ember came across Ash's mom, she would be on her own.

For a moment Ember thought she was in the clear, letting out a breath of relief. Unfortunately she celebrated too soon.

"Well, if it isn't Mrs. Ripple-Lumen." Ash's mother took a long drag of a cigarette. Her son was right by her side.

"Um, pretty sure you're not supposed to be doing that in here." Ember pointed out. She grabbed Vapor's shoulders and pointed her towards the classroom. "Go inside sweetie."

Instead of listening to her, Vapor walked right up towards Ash. "My mommy can beat up yours." she told him. Ember wanted to melt on the spot.

"Nuh-uh!" Ash retorted. "My mom is so gonna beat your mom's butt."

Ember threw her hands in the air before this could continue further. "Hey! No one is fighting anyone! Vapor apologize to Ash and his mom for saying that right now."

"But—"

Ember shot her a look.

Vapor sulked, holding her hands behind her back. "I'm sorry Ash and Ash's mommy..."

Ash's mother raised a brow. She was looking straight at Ember. "Did you tell her you were going to beat me up?"

"What?!" Ember panicked. "N-no! Not at all! Honestly... I don't know where she got that from." She laughed awkwardly before taking a deep breath. "Look... I'm sorry for blowing up on you in front of everyone yesterday. That was uncool of me. But what's also not cool is you defending your son's behavior towards my daughter."

Ash's mom clenched her jaw, processing this information.

"Okay." she said finally.

Ember's brows shot up. "Okay?"

"I accept your apology."

Ember stood there for a moment, waiting for the fire woman to say more. Anything, something. At the very least, Ember expected an apology back. But she got nothing.

The flames on this woman! Is she serious?

Ember couldn't be late to work and deal with this so for now she had to be the bigger element and let it go. She looked down at Vapor and waved her off. "I'll see you later sweetie, have a good day at school."

With that, Ember was off and secretly fuming.

***

Ember and Wade were having lunch together in Ember's office and she was laying down all the facts about this morning. She ticked off each event in sequential order on her fingers.

"And then," Ember says, "She has the gall to say nothing! It's like she thinks she did nothing wrong! No wonder that Ash is the way that he is... Just look at who he has as a mother."

"No apology?" Wade asked in clarification.

"No!" Ember threw her hands up in the air with defeat. Every about the situation was exasperating.

Wade scowled, setting his brow in a straight line. "Maybe I should have a talk with her."

This prompted Ember to tilt her head. "What're you going to say differently?"

"I'll think of something," Wade promised her. "Don't worry about it." He placed a hand on hers, punctuating his sentence with the sizzles of their touch.

Comforted by this, Ember offered a slight smile. "Well... Alright."

Wade smiled in return and continued. "I'll try to get off of work a bit early so we can pick up Vapor together. While I'm taking care of that, why don't you speak to Mandy's parents and ask about a playdate?" It would check off another thing on their list. But unbeknownst to Ember, Wade didn't want her to be around when he confronted Ash's mother.

Ember nodded. "That's a good idea. Speaking of—" Ember leaned over her desk, a cheeky smile playing on her face. "What would you like to do with that free time?"

Wade had to think about it as he stroked his chin. "How about dinner and a movie?" He decided. "Do you even remember how long it's been since we had done that by ourselves?"

"Since before Vapor was born." Ember responded. It felt like forever ago. While they were still boyfriend and girlfriend and even newlyweds, Ember and Wade would continue to go on dates and make time for each other. Part of it is how they stayed so in love.

"Exactly!"

Nowadays whenever they went out, Vapor came along. Which was fine and all, they loved spending time with their daughter. But they had almost forgotten what it was like to spend time alone.

If they wanted to see a movie, it would have to be a kids movie for Vapor.

If they wanted to go out to eat, it would have to be something Vapor liked to eat.

And when Vapor was a baby, they had to worry about her crying in public. So they opted to stay home most of the time.

"Dinner and a movie it is." Wade confirmed. "We could try that new Firish place that opened up."

Ember's eyes widened slightly. "You'd eat there with me?"

"Of course! I love your and your Ashfa's  cooking. I'd love to try more Firish food." Wade shared with her. He loved partaking in Ember's culture. It helped them feel closer together. He knew Ember felt the same when it came to his culture.

Ember's grin grew bigger. "Awesome! Thanks Wade."

Wade did a mini bow from where he sat across from her. "Anything for my lovely fire wife."

Ember playfully shoved him. "Aww, now you're trying to butter me up."

"Maybe I am," Wade began to wiggle his brows. "Maybe I'm not."

Ember scoffed. "Oh you." She glanced at the time on the clock hanging on her wall. "Don't you have to be getting back to work?"

Wade sank into his seat, a watery blob of sadness. He sighed. "Yes... I do." He did the puppydog eyes at her. "I'll miss you."

Ember pouted a bit. "I'll miss you too. C'mon. Reform so I can give you a kiss."

Wade was more that happy to recollect himself from the chair. "Yes ma'am!"