Chapter 2

After Vapor was dropped off at school, Ember and Wade parted ways and headed to work. They had both called in some favors to be allowed to come in late.

Ember had successfully moved up in ranks from being an intern at the glass making company. Now she was a head designer. Her status easily allowed her to take the time to take her daughter to school.

Wade got transferred to be Celestial City's inspector and had been ever since.

They said their goodbye's to each other and agreed to meet back up outside of the school. Ember took a ride on her brand new moped while Wade took to the subways.

Much like Elemental City, Celestial City was made up of different communities. The only difference was Celestial City's focus on art. Culture was everywhere in the form of statues and graffiti. It was just the place for Ember to work her creativity.

As she arrived to work, Ember quickly checked in and boarded the elevator. The elevator was made out of glass, much like the rest of the office building. Ember could see below herself at everyone on the first floor.

Getting off at her stop she was greeted by her assistant. Beck Conway, a short water person who was very jittery with constant nerves. He was alright though. Ember liked him well enough to work with him.

"Miss Ripple-Lumen! Miss Ripple-Lumen!" Beck waved an envelope in the air as he approached her. It alongside its contents were made out of Teflon so it wouldn't catch on fire.

"How many times do I have to tell you Beck, you can just call me Ember." Ember snatched the envelope out of his hands and carefully ripped it open. "Is this what I think it is?"

"Yes!"

Ember's eyes raced down the sheet of paper and read what it had to say. "My building design has been approved..." The words had to be processed, jumbling around in Ember's head. "My design has been approved!"

Ember hopped from foot to foot excitedly. "They're making a building with my design!"

Beck clapped his hands together, his water slapped against itself and caused droplets to splash on the floor. "Yay...!" he encouraged quietly.

Ember suddenly froze. "I have to call Wade."

"The phone is on your desk." Beck reminded her.

"No wait!" Ember held out her hands as she thought out loud. "I have to surprise him. I want to see his reaction."

"That could also work."

Ember squealed with excitement, dancing in place. "I can't believe it! I'm so happy I could hug you Beck!"

Beck tapped his index fingers together nervously. "Please don't." They both knew that it was too dangerous for them. Wade was the only water person Ember could touch without harming herself.

"I know, I know... I'm just—" Ember took a deep breath to regain her composure. "This is really big. They're going to put my building in the middle of the city. Can you believe it?"

Beck smiled up at her. "I can, I was there."

For years Ember had been designing this building. Many times she had to redo and redraw components after getting her drawings and prototypes back. But now it was finally here, the approval letter. They were going to use the building as a museum.

Ember hugged the letter to her chest with her eyes closed. She was glad she decided to take a risk and follow her dreams.

***

Wade was a little late to arrive back at Vapor's school. He had to settle a dispute between an earth person and a water person concerning the earth person's overgrown lawn.

For as much patience Wade had, he was itching to get away and clock out of work. He wanted to see his daughter again. He had hoped she hadn't experienced anything traumatizing like the time he got sucked into a sponge.

Of course, he was just overthinking. Vapor probably had a wonderful day and was waiting for him to get there and tell him all about it. The thought of her waiting almost brought a tear to his eye though.

Much to his relief, Ember had waited with Vapor on the school steps. Ember's body was bent towards Vapor, peering down at something in the steam element's hands.

"Hey you two!" Wade announced as he walked over. "You're a sight for sore eyes."

Vapor jumped up from where she sat. "Daddy look what I drew!" She held a drawing up for him to see.

It was a family portrait in crayon. Wade on the left, Ember on the right and Vapor herself in the middle. They were labeled "mom, dad, and me."

"Wow!" Wade smiled warmly. He did his best not to cry in front of Vapor as he didn't want her to get the wrong idea. "I love it! We might have another artist in the family."

Ember's flames grew a little brighter signifying her blush. Wade did not miss it, they locked eyes briefly.

Wade parted Vapor on the head. "That's great kiddo. Now who's ready to get some ice cream?"

"I am, I am!" Vapor bounced around.

As the family unit walked, Vapor recounted her day to the very last detail. Mrs. Goode made them all introduce themselves to each other. Vapor even made a friend, Mandy, a mud element. It was a relief for her parents to hear. Vapor had a good day after all.

Arriving to the ice cream shoppe, Wade and Vapor ordered vanilla and mint chocolate chip ice cream respectively. As a flame element, Ember couldn't enjoy ice cream like they could. Vapor's ice cream would melt due to her warmth but it wouldn't straight up disintegrate like Ember's would.

Fortunately, the shoppe sold other kinds of sweets such as molten lava cake. Typically it would be served with ice cream which Ember would let Wade eat.

As they sat down, Ember decided to share her news. "Well..." she cleared her throat. "My design is being made into a building." she said it so casually, having all day to sit with this information.

Wade and Vapor were wide eyed with shock.

Ember glanced at them nervously. "What?"

Wade leaned across the table to give Ember a hug. Sizzling could be heard from their embrace. "Way to go Em, you did it!" he congratulated as he nuzzled into her.

Vapor clapped happily, standing in her chair. "Yay mommy!"

Wade pulled away briefly. "Did you tell your parents?"

"No—"

Wade raised a brow.

"But I'm going to!" Ember reassured him. "I was thinking we should invite my parents and your mom over for dinner and tell them in person."

"That's a great idea!" Wade hugged her again.

While they were preoccupied, Vapor took a spoonful of her father's ice cream. It was the perfect day.