Chapter 8

An evening without Vapor.

It was harder to enjoy than Ember and Wade thought. Every second they expected to hear little Vapor's voice asking for something or telling a joke. It felt a lot quieter without her following them around.

"Okay," Wade announced, holding out his hands. They were standing outside the theatre. "I think we both need to relax."

"Isn't that what this date is for?" Ember pointed out.

Wade inwardly sighed. "Like— relax so we can relax and enjoy this date."

"I'd relax if that made any sense."

"Haha, very funny." Wade rolled his eyes playfully and lightly jabbed Ember. "Right now Vapor is probably having the time of her life."

"Making dirt pies." Ember suggested.

"Playing pretend." Wade continued.

Both sighed wistfully at the same time. "So cute."

Ember suddenly shook her head vigorously. "Okay! She's fine. We need to stop. It's just me and you, right? We hardly get this alone time. Let's just... enjoy the movie."

Since Ember and Wade's first date, Ember had learned to dim her flame on command. That way she can be in a dark room without blinding anybody. As a baby, Vapor would be too distracted by Ember's light to lie down to sleep so Ember didn't have much of a choice. However, it became a valued skill of hers.

Together, they walked in and held hands. The movie they ended up watching was corny and sappy, just how Wade loved it. Ember loved it too but by the end Wade was sobbing and nearly flooding the floor.  It was a nice romantic movie that reminded them more of how much they loved each other.

As they walked out, the married couple were discussing plot points in great detail.

"I can't believe he jumped into the water after her, knowing that he'd sink!" Wade exclaimed. He was making wide gestures with his hands.

"I know right?" Ember scoffed. "They both could've died. I still can't believe they got saved by a whale."

"That was pretty random, I have to admit. Did not see that coming."

They both burst out into laughter for a good minute before catching their breaths. A nice laugh between lovers. Just like the good old days. For a second, those days didn't feel so long ago. It was just like when they had first met.

Er... barring the confusion they had at first concerning the closing of Burnie's shop.

Other than that, those days were perfect.

But nothing was more special than the present. In this moment, the married couple were thinking about the same thing:

Vapor.

"Maybe we should..." started Wade.

"... Check up on Vapor." Ember finished.

The two walked over to a phone booth and dialed the Dewdrops' number. It wasn't long until Raini picked up.

"Hello?"

"Uh, hi. This is Ember—"

"And Wade!" Wade loudly whispered.

"Vapor's parents..."

A light chuckle came from the other end. "Of course I know it's you. No need to clarify, dear."

Ember laughed awkwardly. "Ahaha, right. Um... how is she by the way?"

"She and Mandy are both asleep after playing dolls. It seemed they had so much fun!"

The parents exhale quietly. What a relief!

"Those two have grown quite close. Almost like they've known each other their whole little lives."

"Well that's Vapor for ya," Wade chimed in. "She's extremely friendly."

"And so polite too! Poor girl would ask us if she could use the bathroom everytime she had to go. She didn't have to of course, and I told her that, but she insisted."

Ember and Wade did their best to teach Vapor manners, but a lot of credit had to go to her grandparents on each side. All three of them turned the girl into a please-and-thank-you machine.

"Well that's good!" Ember responded. "We'll pick her up tomorrow morning."

"Righty-o then! Ta- ta!"

There was a click as Raini hung up.

Wade sighed wistfully. "I hope our families get to be friends forever."

"That's unlikely," Ember replied. "Not unless Vapor and Mandy stay friends for life. I mean, do you even remember the friends you had in kindergarten?"

Wade stroked his chin. "You know... now that I think about it, I actually remem—"

Ember silenced him with her finger. "Don't answer that."

Wade smiled innocently and Ember softly shook her head.

"That is a nice sentiment though," she admitted.

The two began walking towards their dinner reservation.

"Vapor as an adult," Ember continued, musing about the future. "I hope she'll have good friends at that point too."

"I don't even want to think about that. I want her to stay a kid forever." Wade softly protested. He was rubbing an eye with his finger, stopping any tears from threatening to come out.

Ember chuckled. "But then we'll be an old game and mop water by then. Too old and tired to take care of Vapor and her boundless energy."

Ember could picture it now. As an old woman she'd probably take after her Ashma. A little cranky but definitely have an eye out for something interesting. Or maybe she'd be like her Ashfa? Fun loving but stern? Or both?

As for Wade, he wanted to be the old water man his father never got to be and just enjoy life and continue to be the best person he could be.

But it was far too early to think about that.

Vapor was still a child.

And they were nowhere near being old.

Maybe not that old.

Was it too early for the midlife crisis to be hitting?

Nah.

Right now, all they had to worry about was eating dinner.