Chapter2: Meet and greet!

"ONE, TWO!, THREE!!"

Tom marched onward with his unit in a rhythm. Beside him, he could hear Chase hold in laughter or a snicker, Tom shushed at him. The sergeant they got this morning clearly had a throat problem, his voice was cracking and reaching high notes. At first, some soldiers did break out in laughter, which cost them fifty pushups. Tom was lucky to have overslept this morning and even luckier that the sergeant didn't notice him sneaking into the crowd. The sergeant kept on yelling out more orders and the soldiers followed. 1 step, 2 steps 3 steps, 4 steps, Tom has done this so many times, it's already a routine in his brain. If Tom could, he'd just continue sleeping, he has barely slept at all tonight if anything.

Suddenly someone bumped into him, which made him push back, the soldier fell on another soldier which made a hassle instantly of men falling over. Soon there was a clump of men and women on the ground and Tom stood still too anxious and tired to move, while the other half of the soldiers separated themselves from the clump. Tom was about to turn around and help the soldiers up- "PRIVATE! WHAT do you think you're doing?! Do you think you are funny?!"

The sergeant yelled with his broken voice. Tom jumped in his skin and felt a cold chill run down his spine of the unwanted attention suddenly fixated on him. "YOU know what? I don't have the strength or patience with you! fifty pushups! and the rest of you! GET BACK TO TRAINING!" The sergeant yelled out orders angrily. Everyone slowly started to get up and went back to their routine except for Tom, he stood numbly frowning at the ground with the unfair feeling in his gut. But he went down to the ground and started doing his push-ups, while the sergeant gave him a disapproving look and then walked off to instruct the rest of the unit.

Whatever, tomorrow they'll be deported to another place. While being left alone felt somewhat nice Tom knew he have to return to his unit and deal with the annoying sergeant. Oh, why can't this day end? Suddenly another voice bombed through the air, the following were sounds of boots going in a rhythmic beat. Suddenly in front of Tom, someone stood with their boots, Tom could feel a tingle of secondhand embarrassment and a sprinkle of dread. "And what's this? Slacking off? LOOK up at me private!" the voice sounded somewhat familiar as if Tom had heard it before. Tom grimaced in thought and huffed as he looked up at the man in front of him, eyes going a bit wide.

"Well, I'll be damned!" The man said. "Bowling ball!" Tom stopped doing his pushups and looked up, almost gapping at the man in front of him. The man in front of him was the one and only sergeant Hillary! Suddenly a strong hand grabbed Tom's uniform from above and pulled him up. Tom now stood face to face with his old sergeant. Not knowing how to react Tom opted to salute him while the other burst into laughter. "Oh, you've grown so much, son! And to see you here after all this time, looks like the battlefield wasn't done with you just yet, huh?" Hillary said, pushing Tom with his arm. Tom only let out a chuckle "Yeah, seems so, though I am here against my will, the only reason why I'm here is because of the idiot friend I call Edd ''. "Eh, don't be like that, son! you get to meet your old man! aren't you happy!?" Hillary said and frowning at the end. "So may I ask, where were you dropped from? How did you get here? and more importantly why are you slacking off? shouldn't you be with your unit training!?" Hillary went instantly into his commander mode and almost yelled Tom's ears off.

Tom put his hands up in defense and tried to crawl out of Hillarsons grip. "Sir!, I'm not slacking off sir, I'm doing 50 pushups because I messed up!" Hillary let out a brief laugh at his old soldier.

"You never change huh? Whatcha do this time?" Hillary questioned not one bit angry. Tom pointed at his "new" sergeant. "I fucked up in the march and made a few people fall" Tom explained. Hillary turned his head to eye the sergeant and then smiled. As if he got an idea.