Chapter Twenty-Two

Maze thought about following after Del but decided against it. It was clear she needed time to figure things out on her own. When Maze turned back to the table, he noticed Leo and Nine were gone and Benz was talking to Prat on the other side of the room, leaving Fluke sitting alone.

"Well, this seems wrong," Maze said as he stood beside Fluke, who looked up at him with a smile.

"What does?"

"The most stunning person in this room shouldn't be left alone like this."

Fluke laughed. "I see you've finally found the words to compliment me."

"That was a malfunction earlier. I promise that I will shower you with compliments until the end of time."

Fluke reached out to hold Maze's hand. "For now, I'll take you asking me to dance."

Maze gently pulled Fluke to their feet. "Would you do me the honor?"

"I'd love to."

Maze led Fluke out onto the dance floor, pulling them close. Everyone else in the room faded away as the two of them swayed to the music.

"I'm not much of a dancer," Fluke confessed, smiling shyly at Maze.

Maze's arm tightened around Fluke's waist. "Lucky that you have me here to guide you."

"Where'd you learn to dance?"

"My mother. From a very young age, I had always wanted to learn." Fluke looked up at Maze, unable to hide the admiration in their eyes. "What?"

"You constantly surprise me, that's all," Fluke explained. "I've never really met someone like you."

Maze shook his head, blushing. "I'm not that special."

Fluke lifted their hand to caress Maze's cheek, heat rising underneath their palm. The gentle touch took over Maze's senses, and quickly the two of them were no longer dancing. Fluke's heart was pounding so hard inside their chest, they were certain Maze could hear it over the music.

"You are special, Maze. You are kind. Smart. Funny. More ridiculous than anyone I've ever met, and I'm friends with Benz."

Maze chuckled, leaning his forehead against Fluke's. Taking a deep breath, Fluke continued.

"You make me feel seen. Safe. Like I truly deserve to be happy. I don't think words can properly describe how much I like you."

Maze leaned back far enough to look into Fluke's eyes, desperately trying to calm his heart. "Maybe words aren't enough."

"Maybe not."

Fluke traced their fingertips along Maze's jaw before running them across his lips.

"Fluke."

Their name was barely a whisper, but it was enough to break down whatever was left of the walls Fluke had built around themself.

Fluke surged forward, pressing their lips firmly to Maze's. A sigh escaped Maze's lips as he held Fluke as close as he could, his body feeling on fire in the best way possible.

Fluke wrapped their arms around Maze's neck, burying their fingers into his hair. Maze's lips were soft, gentle, yet passionate against Fluke's, kissing them in a way they've never experienced before.

Maze was the first one to pull away, completely breathless.

"Woah," Maze said, making Fluke chuckle.

"Knowing now that you'd be kissing me like that, I'm annoyed that I stalled for as long as I did."

"At least it was only a month or so, and not years like Leo and Nine."