Chapter Six

Nine walked into his apartment with the last of his boxes, Maze holding the door open as he walked past. Koi was following a step behind.

After setting the boxes down in his bedroom, Nine joined his mother where she sat on the couch. Wiping the sweat from his brow, Nine looked around his new temporary home with a smile.

It was crazy and amazing to think he was actually here. All that hard work, the late-night studying, the extra credit assignments, the almost nonexistent social life all through high school, it was all worth it.

Thanks to amazing academic scores, Nine received a full ride scholarship to study business. He knew there was still a lot of hard work to be done, but Nine was satisfied in knowing he was that much closer to his dream.

"I was a little skeptical about giving the two of you free reign to pick your own apartment," Koi admitted, fluffing Nine's hair lovingly. "But this isn't so bad."

Maze laughed as he sat haphazardly on the living room chair. "Thanks, Ma. We'd like to believe that we're not completely helpless young adults."

"Only slightly helpless," Nine teased.

"Don't say such a thing, or I'll drag you back home," Koi threatened, making Nine and Maze laugh.

Nine knew it was an empty threat, but he also knew that underneath it was a very real sadness about him leaving home.

Almost nineteen years under the same roof, now a new chapter in their lives was beginning. Nine was ready to spread his wings, and Koi was happy to let him. It was still bittersweet for the two of them.

"Shall we order some food before we unpack Nine's things?" Maze asked with a clap of his hands.

"I'll stay for the food," Koi replied. "As for the unpacking, that's on both of you. Seeing as you're both adults now, that is no longer a responsibility of mine."

Nine rolled his eyes at his mother before looking on his phone for restaurants that delivered, searching for the perfect last meal to have with his mother before everything officially changed.

Twenty minutes away, Leo was retrieving several bags of Thai barbecue from the backseat of his car, desperately trying not to spill anything.

As if sensing Leo's struggle, the front door opened, and Fluke rushed outside.

"Why didn't you give Benz and me a heads-up that you were back?" Fluke asked as they grabbed a couple bags from Leo's hands.

"Obviously because I wanted to see you panic, Fluke. Why else?"

Fluke kicked Leo's backside before turning to walk back into their house. Leo followed after his friend, chuckling to himself. Fifteen years of friendship, and their dynamic hasn't changed a bit.

Kicking off his shoes by the front door, Leo carried the bags of food into the kitchen, where Fluke was already arranging what was in their bags on the kitchen counter.

"Where's Benz?" Leo asked, noticing the third member of the house conveniently absent from helping out with the food.

Fluke pointed toward the ceiling. "He's rearranging his room. Again."

Leo laughed as he put the rest of the food on the counter. "How many times is that since we moved in? Three?"

"Honesty, I've lost count," Fluke sighed.

Once all the food was spread out, Leo walked out of the kitchen to the set of stairs that led to the second floor and marched up them two at a time. Benz's room was the first door on the left, and after two quick knocks Leo let himself in. Sure enough, Benz was pushing his bed to a different part of his room than it had been before.

Benz looked over at Leo in feigned horror.

"Leo! I could have been naked. Or doing something indecent."

"Oh really? And what indecent thing would that be?" Leo asked with a laugh as he leaned against the doorframe.

Benz grinned. "Writing MewTul fanfiction."

Leo put a hand over his heart. "How dare you. What would the MaxTul fans think?"

Benz shrugged. "Not my problem." Satisfied, at least for now, with the new position of his bed, Benz fully turned toward Leo. "You're back, so I'm guessing the food's here."

"Yes, so get your butt downstairs. Fluke and I are hungry."

"So demanding," Benz grumbled as he walked past Leo, shoving Leo's shoulder as he went.

"Oh, please. You know Fluke is more demanding than I am," Leo stated.

"True."

"I heard that, you jerks," Fluke called from downstairs, clearly no longer in the kitchen.

Overcome by laughter, Leo and Benz slightly stumbled down the steps together. Their laughing fits only got worse upon seeing Fluke, who was standing there with their arms crossed, looking unamused.

"Come on, Fluke," Benz said as he pinched Fluke's cheeks. "No need to look sour."

"Why did I ever agree to move in with you both?" Fluke mumbled.

"Because you love us," Leo said, pulling Fluke and Benz in for a group hug. "Besides, who else is going to watch out for us now that we're no longer living with our parents?"

"Lucky me, I'm now a full-time babysitter. I should ask your parents for compensation." Fluke playfully pulled out of the embrace. "Dinnertime, children. Let's eat."

Leo and Benz chuckled lightly before following Fluke, ready to devour some Thai barbecue.

Back at Nine's and Maze's apartment later that night, long after Koi had left, Nine was admiring his now decorated room.

His desk was organized with his school textbooks, a pen holder with brand new pens and pencils, a stack of new notebooks, and a desk lamp.

His closet was small, but his clothes fit in just fine. In fact, there was a little bit of space left if he wanted to buy something later.

On his nightstand were three framed photos. One of Nine and Koi from his eighteenth birthday. One of Nine and Maze from when they were kids. And the final one of Nine, Maze, and their new friend Del, who joined the friend group the previous year.

His bed was fully made up, brand new sheets and a plush comforter covering the mattress. Nine remembers buying his new bedding last week, drawn to the ocean blue color.

It had taken him back eight years, to a time he can never fully forget.

When those memories do resurface, Nine's filled with a mixture of emotions. More than anything, Nine wonders if he randomly pops into Leo's head as well. Or if, after all this time, Nine is nothing more than a forgotten memory.