Chapter Thirteen

While Nine kept Leo from picking him up at his apartment, he couldn't stop Leo from waiting for him at the bus stop. The nearest stop to Leo's house was two blocks away, and Leo didn't feel comfortable making Nine walk that distance alone.

So there Leo was, idling in his parked car on the side of the street, waiting for Nine's bus to arrive. Just after twelve, a blue and green painted bus showed up, and Nine exited it a moment later.

Recognizing the car from school, Nine walked over and let himself inside.

"Sorry I'm late," Nine said as he put on his seat belt.

"You should be sorry. I've been waiting here for ages."

Nine rolled his eyes at Leo's sarcastic tone. "I'm regretting this already."

With a laugh, Leo pulled away from the curb, setting off toward his house.

"Too late," Leo declared as he turned down a street.

When Leo eventually pulled up to his house, Nine couldn't help but stare. It's not like Nine expected Leo to live in a crowded apartment with his friends, but the house was much nicer than anything Nine could have imagined three eighteen-year-olds sharing.

A black gate that required a code to open encompassed the two-story home. Floor to ceiling windows made up a portion of the front as well as the left side of the house, allowing Nine a full view into the living room.

A feeling he hadn't experienced in a long time formed in the pit of Nine's stomach as Leo opened the wood-stained front door, and they walked inside.

The walls were all painted white, making the rooms seem brighter and bigger than they already felt. While it was clear all of the furniture was brand new, little things made the house feel very much lived in.

A couple blankets laid haphazardly across the couch. Mail piled up on the small table next to the door. In the corner of the living room was an acoustic guitar propped up on a stand next to a keyboard, sheets of music spread out on the black and white keys.

Nine found himself walking toward the instruments, Leo following behind him.

"Whose are these?" Nine asked, his fingers lightly stroking the guitar strings.

"Benz," Leo answered. "He's always loved music. I think there was a time when he wanted his career to be something involved with music, but now he's happy to have it as his escape."

Nine smiled as he removed his hand from the guitar.

"I had always wanted to learn how to play when I was younger."

"Why didn't you?"

Leo's question was so genuine, which made it worse for Nine. His problem was never something someone like Leo had to worry about.

"Guitars aren't cheap, neither are music lessons. While my mother did everything to give me the best life she could, some things weren't an option for us."

Leo felt a knot form in the pit of his stomach. He vaguely remembered Nine talking about that vacation eight years ago being the first one he and his mother took. But Leo thought it was because Nine's mother was frugal, not because they'd never been able to afford it before.

"Well," Leo said after a moment. "If you're still interested in learning, I'm sure Benz would be happy to give you lessons. For a reasonable price, of course."

"Like what?"

"Like a nice meal after every lesson?"

Nine laughed, making Leo smile.