Chapter V - Angry at the Gods

Jamie's plan to get Damian's friendship back was in motion. He just needed to convince Damian that he had broken up with Kayden. Then, maybe they could hang out over the weekend, like normal friends, and put this incident behind them. However, the fruity boy would soon realize that he had made a grave mistake.

It was an innocent and hopeful goal, really, but somehow things ended up messier than it already was.

--------

"Wait, you mean to say that we can't hang out at all?" Kayden desperately wanted Jamie to know how he felt without sounding too dramatic. In truth, Kayden cringed at his own thoughts, every second away from Jamie's going to be hell.

"Do you want to convince Damian that we're not dating or not?" Jamie retorted a bit too harshly.

I don't want to, but you do. But I want you to be happy.

"Fine..." Was all that Kayden could force out. He sagged his shoulder and steered the other direction, not daring to make eye contact with the boy he so coveted for.

The boy walked and walked and walked. It had been a while after they were dismissed but Kayden didn't want to go home yet. The setting sun washed everything in a bloody orange color, which was fitting for his mood.

Why?

This is unfair.

This is beyond unfair.

I worked so hard to make Jamie happy.

Why would he care about Damian?

His blood boiled. Jumbled thoughts flew back and forth, left and right, crashing into the side of his head, messing up any clarity those emotions offered. He felt – only vaguely for the thousand birds in his head left him no sense of logic – his steps quickening. He didn't even know where he was going. The dark, heavy, ugly thoughts in his head flirted and fluttered to and fro – chirping, laughing, mocking, pecking away at his brain until –

"Ouch!"

A body slammed into him, knocking the birds out of his mind, but hitting his head on the hard stone floor with a thump.

The world spun around him as he wobbled his way back onto his feet. Bringing his hand to his temples, he stared at the body at fault.

"Watch it, would you?" Kayden spat. He was facing a dark-haired boy with brown skin. Glasses framed the other boy's round, questioning brown eyes.

"Whatever, man," the boy dismissed him.

Kayden continued to go where he was going (he had no idea where he was going), when the other boy turned.

"Wait, can I ask you something?"

Kayden didn't respond and kept walking.

"Uh, do you happen to know someone named Jamie? In grade 9."

Kayden perked up at that.

"What about Jamie?" His voice was seething with hostility. God, is there another boy after him? What a nightmare.

"Nothing... is he in your class? Can you relay a message to him? Tell him that it came from Hardic," the boy said, slightly nervous.

He handed Kayden a paper slip.

"Uh... don't... open it." Hardic grew flustered. "Also, you can just call me Prism instead of Hardic."

Kayden took the slip and went on his way. He doesn't want me to see the note? Well that just confirms my suspicions. He sighed, stuffing the paper slip in his pocket and navigating towards the school gates. He was not gonna let this geometric shape in which two ends faces are identical swoop in and take away his fruity boy, even if it meant disregarding the Prism's privacy and sabotaging the note.