Chapter 9

"I'm here, Addison."

Addison stood dumbfounded at the entrance of the beach house. Before her was the same blonde with baby blue eyes she had left behind. Briefly, she wondered if this whole thing was yet another dream, something else her mind had concocted and sprung out of thin air. Just one more mirage to add to the multitude she had already experienced.

However, it did seem as if it were real. The blonde stood there, fiddling with her fingers, waiting for her to say something more. Was this really not a dream? Was this really not her mind playing games again? Was this really real?

Resisting the urge to pinch herself, she noticed the small suitcase beside the blonde and new questions arose. Where had she come from? Was she going somewhere? Or was she going to stay? Why was she here? Could it be that finally she had changed her mind? Could Addison dare hope for that?

Just as she was about to speak, Meredith's hesitant voice filled her ears. "I know it's really late but can we talk?"

Her voice. It really was her voice. Addison's heart leapt into gallop almost immediately, her mouth going dry, and her fingertips tingling.

Before she could even attempt and say something someone else beat her to the punch once more.

"Hello there."

Archer, her lovely brother, now stood beside her staring shamelessly at Meredith. He grinned wrapping his arm around Addison's shoulders while Meredith just stared back at them seemingly shocked at his presence. In the back of her mind it registered to Addison that the blonde had never met her brother or known anything about him. Baby blue eyes seemed to focus on Archer's arm and it was then that the hurt in those baby blues finally registered to Addison. Did Meredith really think she and Archer... oh god no.

"What do you call yourself gorgeous?" Archer asked with his annoyingly smug wink.

"I um... I..." Meredith stuttered about while her eyes grew glassy.

"Meredith," she quickly interjected, "this is my brother, Archer. Archer, this is Meredith she's... well she's a friend from Seattle." She cleared her throat and pressed her lips together while Meredith visibly relaxed.

"A-a pleasure."

"Oh, I assure you the pleasure is all mine." Archer grabbed Meredith's hand, bringing it to his lips.

A spark of jealousy had Addison slapping his hand away from the blonde's. "Enough. Go back to your hotel."

"Ah c'mon sis." Archer whined pathetically. "Let me stay. I want to get to know this beauty." He flashed another smile Meredith's way and the blonde pressed her lips together looking away.

"No, I have things to do. Now go." Addison said, taking his arm away from her shoulders.

"Addie—"

"Don't Addie me. Goodbye." She interrupted and grabbed his coat from the hook by the door before throwing it at him.

"You are an awful sister." He pouted at her before looking back to Meredith. "Isn't she, cutie?"

"Archer."

"Fine. I'm leaving. But give her my number." He grinned. "Meredith, if you get bored, call me." He winked once more before finally heading out the door and walking by an uncomfortable looking Meredith.

For a moment the two just stood there looking at each other. She was losing herself in the sea of blue and it seemed as though Meredith was doing the same in her spring of jade. Aside from them nothing seemed to exist and for a brief moment the world fell completely away.