Chapter 2

A couple of weeks had gone by and she had done well to stay away from the girl. Though, to be honest, she had only done well because she had been down in LA for most of that time. She had pretty much run away. Meredith had been close when she had told the chief about the visit and she hadn't missed the girl's gaze burning onto her as she spoke. However, Meredith had said nothing and had walked away as soon as she had made eye contact.

LA hadn't been the best trip ever. There she had been given yet another amazingly painful bit of information. She was barren. 'Great' she had thought. 'Just bring the pain and pile it up on top of itself.' It had been kinda awful going through it alone. But she had managed and in the process she had saved a baby and its mom.

Technically not a complete loss. She still had a purpose. Still had the chance to bring life into the world. It wasn't in the same way she wanted and it wasn't a small piece of her but still. She had left LA better than she had found it, or at least that's what she was telling herself. She had also left with a job offer and a promise at a new beginning, which at this time was sorely needed.

After landing in Seattle and feeling the brisk cold air she thought of going back to her hotel room. But then out of nowhere she had the sudden need to go back to Seattle Grace. She didn't understand it or really cared to, she just gave in to the urge and made her way to the hospital.

Letting her feet carry her, as was now her thing it seemed, she made her way to the post op waiting area. There she found Richard and Miranda standing together solemnly watching another doctor from afar. Derek was a few steps away and when she really looked at the doctor who had all of their attention she noticed it was Meredith. She was speaking to a man, a man she already knew to be the girl's father.

"What's going on over there?" Addison asked Richard and Miranda.

"Susan Grey is dead. There was nothing we could do." Miranda explained.

"Oh god." Addison felt her heart drop.

She knew Meredith had been reluctant to have anything to do with the woman but slowly the persistent mother had gotten the girl to come around. Why was she there? Why was she the one to talk to Thatcher?

"We thought it should come from her." Richard answered her question without her having voiced it.

"You thought. I still don't think it's a good idea." Miranda muttered bitterly.

"Yeah, Richard. She's but an intern and from what I've heard she doesn't have a good relationship with her father." Addison said, her eyes still on the girl.

Richard seemed to want to say something but whatever it was got lost as they all witnessed Thatcher slapping Meredith. Addison felt her blood boil instantly and was about to make her way over when the girl turned holding the side of her face and practically ran towards them in tears. Derek stepped quickly in front of Meredith trying to check her cheek but Meredith slapped his hand away.

"You're not breathing for me. Remember?" Meredith spat. "Let me go! You already did." She added and walked right past everyone.

"What are you doing?" Addison asked Derek. What was he waiting for?

Derek only looked at her with that bland idiotic expression that made her want to punch him.

"She needs you, you moron." Addison walked to him and shoved him the way Meredith had gone.

"I can't." Derek said and walked away in the opposite direction.

"Useless." Addison shook her head, her rage making itself evident. "Typical." She muttered and without giving much thought to Richard and Miranda she made her way towards where Meredith had gone.