Chapter 6

** Chapter contains dialogue from GA 3x25 **

Cristina was almost ready. She was so close to getting her happy ending. A happy ending that made Meredith think she might get it herself someday. Though frankly she shouldn't have her person's happy ending dictate her own life. Still one could say superstition was good and it might win out now. She really hoped it did. She hoped a little kernel of her person's happiness would be passed onto her.

Their day had been somewhat quiet but not quiet enough, as she had had to deal with Adele Webber. Knowing what her mother had been to Richard and also knowing how Adele knew everything certainly made for an awkward situation. There was also the intern exam results, which had been in everyone's head the whole day until they finally got the results. It had been nerve wracking, that wait. However, that was the past. They were in the now, in the almost, and the now was waiting for Cristina to get over her nerves and walk.

"You will get married. Do you hear me, Cristina? We need this. We need you to get your happy ending."

One small pep-talk had been all it took, while Callie and Izzy anxiously watched. One small pep-talk and they were on their way, Cristina more confident and ready. Part of her wondered if giving such a pep-talk was a good idea. She knew how her person felt about Burke but sometimes she wondered. However, it may be sort of late to be wondering whether this would work or not. She pushed everything down and got to moving, making sure the veil and dress didn't catch anywhere.

Despite the doubts Meredith could almost taste their victory, their happy ending. They were seconds away from the door, not even seconds. But before they made it Burke stepped through the threshold and put a damper in their, her, almost...

***

After the groom disappeared through the doors of the church to the street her person seemed to have gone to a place far away. So far that Meredith could barely reach her. Her face devoid of any sort of expression, Cristina sat holding onto her bouquet while Izzie sat next to her biting her lip. There weren't any words she could say that would make this better. There really was nothing she could do but be her person and take care of the consequences of Burke's actions so that Cristina didn't have to deal with it.

Leaving Izzy in charge and ensuring Cristina understood that she'd be back, Meredith headed for the inside of the chapel. It wasn't that long of a walk but each step cemented her decision, which had actually been brewing for practically the entire day, week. A decision she had been holding off on making until Cristina got married, waiting to see what the outcome would be.

The talk with Derek earlier, if that was what you'd call a talk, further affirmed the decision. She had told him that if he wanted to break up he should. It was cowardly of her, especially knowing she was the one that wanted it all over. She had tried to have him be the one to do it. Hell, after flirting with another woman had been the highlight of his week then by all means he should've ended it. But he hadn't. He had said she was the love of his life. How backwards was that? She had no room to judge herself given that for months she had been sleeping with Addison. For months she had been falling more and more in lo...

No. Nope. She wouldn't let her brain finish with that one. Besides, she was already at the door with her mind made up. She did wonder if she should grab the redhead she had spied earlier by the hand and run off. But no. Why? Because she was a coward. She was a coward and she'd rather leave it all at almost.

***

It was her last day in Seattle and she was attending a wedding. Cristina and Preston. Somehow the pair worked but at the same time they didn't work at all. She had caught a glimpse of the brunette back at the hospital and frankly she looked more like a porcelain doll, molded to the pleasure of her owner, than the bright young surgeon and confident woman she was. Addison supposed they must love each other. Cristina had to love him to actually want to marry him, knowing the kind of person the brunette was.