Chapter 7

The journey with Cristina had been strained at best but this was her person so Meredith would do anything and everything for her. The brunette seemed to be in a different place as they boarded the plane. While at home Izzie had been complaining almost the whole time Meredith had been packing but a death glare from her person had the blonde backing off. With the suitcases ready and passports on hand they had soon been off. The ride to the airport had been just as silent as the one from the church to Cristina's apartment and then to Meredith's house. Even at the airport Cristina hadn't even uttered two words. Her person just went through the motions and all Meredith could do was go through them with her.

They were seated in first class, she recalled Cristina raving about it when she and Burke had scheduled the flight. She was the best so she deserved the best. Or something along those lines. She had been excited then but now she merely sat, her lightless eyes gazing out the window.

Meredith secured her seatbelt then her person's and before long they were flying out. The soft hum of the engines and the murmuring accompanied her while she let her mind wander. The jade eyes she had left back in the church seemed to be permanently tattooed onto her field of view. Addison hadn't said anything but Meredith had seen the ripple in her aquamarine gaze. She knew the redhead wanted to say something but being the way she was and having her mind already made up she didn't give Addison the chance. She had said her piece and ran away like weakling coward she had always been.

She leaned back in her seat glancing at her person, whose gaze still lingered out the window, and took a deep breath. Addison must be arriving at the airport now. Meredith had heard the redhead had already sent her things and her car down to LA, all that was left was the redhead herself. She was supposed to fly out later that evening. Still Meredith had found herself doing double takes on any redhead she'd come across in the airport. If Cristina had noticed, she hadn't said a word. But then she had barely spoken. Meredith knew it was stupid but she just couldn't help it as her even own brain worked against her.

Cristina reached for her hand, still not looking at her, and Meredith interlaced their fingers. Pain seemed to have etched itself onto every fiber of their being but at least they had each other. Not even a few minutes later, the brunette was leaning on her shoulder. A few tears wet Meredith's shirt but she didn't care. She only placed her head on top of Cristina's and together the two slept the plane ride away. What better way to push down the pain.

***

Tired and with a sore neck she and Cristina made it to their hotel. It was late evening by the time they arrived. Cristina looked more alive now. Her eyes still held a considerable amount of pain but Meredith knew it would be like that for a while longer. They checked in with a smiley and pleasant young lady at the counter and then headed for the elevators.

The hotel was nice and people seemed to be having a great time. Children ran around with chuckling parents and lovers holding hands made eyes at each other. It was somewhat sickening, all their joy. But Meredith knew not everyone was dark and twisty and maybe after a few days she and Cristina would be smiles and laughter too. They had only just arrived after all.

"So drunk and sad by the pool and the beach or drunk and sad at our balcony?"

"No people." Cristina replied softly, her voice rasping out from the misuse and the crying.

"Our balcony it is." Meredith said, looping her arm around her person's.

A quick elevator ride and they were rid of all prying eyes, which truthfully were doing no prying at all. Up in the room after showering and putting on comfortable clothes, Meredith led Cristina out to the balcony. The sky looked beautiful painted in warm yellows and pinks while the ocean seemed to stretch out forever. Quite the view for two hurt people. A couple bottles of tequila along a tray of fries and wings sat on the table, not much different from what they would have had at Joe's.