Chapter 14: A Walk in the Garden

Start from the beginning

"It seems like it would be a fun place to go as a child; so many places to hide and play."

"It was." Silence soon returned, and I found myself craving more normal conversation. It felt like a breakthrough to have Reuban really communicating with me for once.

"When I was little, my dad would take me to an apple orchard every Sunday. This garden resembles it in a way. I could almost swear that hedge archway was from that orchard."

"Are you angry that you were taken from your family?" That was the question I least expected to come from Reuban. Why would he even care if I was angry?

"I was angrier at first. Now... now I just wish I had another chance to see my mother. I wish I could apologize..." I didn't even know what I was saying as the words left my lips. I hadn't realized until I said it how desperately I longed to see my mom. She was my only family left, and I didn't even tell her I loved her when I left the house. I caused her so much torment after my brother died, it must have felt like she lost me as well. She lost her husband, her son, and now her daughter. Had she gotten news about my disappearance? Did someone stumble upon the car wreck and Tony's body? Were they searching for me... for my body?

"Apologize for what?" He sent me a look of... curiosity? I was having trouble getting used to this side of Reuban. It was so unlike his usual self.

"I left without even telling her I loved her. I just- I just left." Quietness descended as my words began to seep in. I was such a horrible daughter to her.

"What about your father? Were you able to tell him you loved him before you left?" A shiver of familiar agony racked through my heart.

"My father's dead." Reuban turned his gaze to me and said nothing as we continued to walk. It felt comforting to be walking through such a lovely place. It felt good to tell some of my misery to Reuban, it almost felt liberating. Cathartic.

Reuban glanced at me in contemplation. Abruptly, he came to a stop and looked down at my body.

"What's wrong with your arms?" He gestured to them. I looked down in an attempt to understand him and noticed what he meant. My arms were still dotted with blue and purple bruises from the various encounters I'd had. Mostly with him.

"Seriously?" I asked in shock. He had to know what they were from. Most of them were his fault.

"What's wrong with them? I don't remember them looking like that." He asked again.

"Give me your hand." I held out my own hand as I gave the command. He hesitated, staring into my eyes, before he finally placed his in mine. I ignored the shock of pleasure I felt as his cool touch brushed against my warm flesh. I took his right hand and placed it on my left arm. His fingers perfectly lined up with the dotted bruises.

I let go of him, but his hand remained on my arm. I was surprised by his expression; I couldn't decipher what was going on in his mind. His dark brows were furrowed, and his bottom lip slipped between his teeth as he bit down on it. If I didn't know better, I'd think he appeared contrite.

Suddenly, someone behind us cleared their throat, causing me and Reuban to turn around in a hurry. His hand fell limply back to his side.

It was a small petite woman wearing a maid's uniform. Her blonde hair was in a bun, causing her black eyes to seem darker. She glanced between us with surprise. It must have been unusual for Reuban to walk with someone who was such a low class.

"The Master requested me to bring Miss Jaime to his presence." My mouth hung open in shock, and Reuban looked surprised as well. Immediately, his hardened exterior returned, and he gestured me towards the maid.

"Take her then, will you." He spat out bitterly before he turned and trampled up the path. I watched his retreating form as the maid attentively took a hold of my hand.

"Let's go miss." She walked me out of the garden, but I hardly paid attention. The Master wants to see me? Maybe now he would finally reveal what his true plans were. And now, to top it all off, Reuban was actually being civil with me. What was the world coming to?

In a short while, I found myself standing in front of the door leading to the dining room.

The maid pushed me forward, and I swiftly opened the door. The lights were as dim as they were before, and all the decorations seemed to be in the same place as well. I could see the shadowy form of the Master standing in the same corner, watching me as I approached.

"It is time for one of your questions to be answered." The door behind me shut as I walked even closer to the Master. I stopped at least two meters away and watched his ghostly form emerge from the dark corner. I wasn't surprised to see that his hair was still hiding his eyes from my view, but maybe now he would let me see his true face.

"Which question?"

"You put a book under your bed." It took me a few moments to remember what he was talking about. When I did, a warm blush colored my cheeks. He was going to tell me how stupid it was to rely on vampires for an answer. How thoughtless could I get?

"You have questions pertaining to the creatures known as vampires."

"I-I know they're not real." I felt his eyes bore into mine, and a shiver of fear struck me. What could he be planning by torturing me like this?

"How do you know this?" His question startled me, and I tried to come up with a logical answer.

"Because... Because they're a myth. A story told to scare kids." He made a tsking noise as he took a few steps closer to me.

"Kids are told scary stories of murderers; does that mean no one kills?"

"N-No, but... vampires aren't real!" I shouted at him in complete frustration. What was the point of this? Vampires couldn't be real!

"Vampires are real, Jaime." My breathing became labored as his words soaked in.

"Vampires are real, and you're living in a house full of them." He backed into the corner and let out a low chuckle. That horrifying laugh reverberated through me as I struggled with reality. The concept of vampires was ridiculous and impossible. The worse part... the worst part of this was...

I believed him.