"What's our weapons capacity?" Celli asked.

"Very good," Fel said with a grin. "We've got better torpedoes than we ever had in the games. More laser capacity too. And this gun is something I've only read about." He smiled. "Sweet."

Orion pushed the ship past six thousand CTs. "How are we looking?"

"Fine," Celli responded. "All systems normal." She was pleasantly surprised at the ship's abilities at high speed.

"Qonaar?" Orion asked.

Celli studied the screen. "We've got four ships converging." She looked at Orion. "It was an ambush."

"Speed?"

"They're matching."

Orion looked to Menaro, who closed his eyes, breathed in deeply and nodded.

Orion began acceleration and Celli read out the numbers as they increased. "Five-five hundred... six... six-five... six-seven fifty... seven thousand." She studied her screen. "They won't risk a match at this speed. Now or never."

The Elen-Tron rocketed towards the belt.

***

Countless large shapes loomed just ahead of them, illuminated on their right side by their central star. Only Menaro had seen the belt this close, but never had he ventured into it. Unnecessary risk. The mrith team were fascinated beyond belief; for them this was an unimaginable stroke of luck. Jenna did not share their feelings.

"Slow to three thousand," Celli said, staring at the approaching asteroids.

"How about our friends?" Menaro asked.

Celli tore her eyes away from the belt and checked the display panel. "They're still in pursuit, but we gained some distance."

"So..." Menaro said in a voice that betrayed remorse and a hint of wonder, "you get your wish after all." He looked over at Orion and Celli. "Here's how it goes," he said sternly, "we look for the safest route to the center of the zone; we power down somewhere safe and wait it out. If the Qonaar follow us in, chances are they won't find us – scans only work at close range in the hex-zones. My bet is that they won't risk it; this is pirate territory - four small cruisers are no match for the ships that control this zone. And that's my next concern: If we're lucky we won't meet up with any pirates, but if we do, we'll try to talk our way out of it first, understood? Only use weapons on my command and only if nothing else works." Menaro glanced back at Fel then out the front window. They were nearing the edge of the belt. "Alright, here we go; stay alert." He warned needlessly.

They buckled into their safety harnesses and took up the slack. Jenna fumbled with her harness, panicking when she couldn't connect the clasps, then tightening the straps once the clasps were secure. She felt safer within the harness and wondered why she hadn't donned it earlier. I wouldn't be caught dead being the only one with a safety harness on. She realized. Dignity was a consideration.

"Fel," Celli said, "better take a practice shot – see exactly what that thing can do, we're going to have to cut through the field if we're going to stay ahead of them."

This is what the gunner had been waiting for. He picked a small asteroid ahead of them, aimed and pressed the button. The rock was blown to gravel as the laser beam hit it dead center. "Yeah!" Fel exclaimed, turning to his mrith team. "Did you see that?"

"Nice!" Orion called.

"Good yield!" Celli said. "We'll have an easier time than in our sim-craft."

"I don't care what they say," Fel grinned, "that was much better than a simulation. No comparison."