Chapter 1: Him

Chapter 1: Him

Deb Caletti once said, "Rejection, though-- it could make the loss of someone you weren't even that crazy about feel gut wrenching and world ending."

"What did you just say?" asked the man.

"Why do you keep doing this?" she whispered. "Why do I forget?"

The man groaned in frustration. "I told you why. You have problems remembering. Something isn't right with you and you forget."

"But I know my name! And age! How come I don't forget that?!"

"Because I remind you- every day."

"Then remind me what has happened every time we go somewhere new! If you reminding me helps me remember my name and age, you can remind me what's been going on! So I remember!"

"We've discussed this."

"I just want to know what's been happening to me! The pain! The blank periods! Why am I always forgetting everything that happens AFTER we arrive at these new places? What are you hiding?! Please! I want to remember!"

"But my dear, it would damage you greatly."

"Tell me, or I will jump out of this car!"

The man chuckled. "Let me help you with that," he said. In a flash, he reached over the girl, opening the door.

"No!" she cried. "I didn't mean it, I-"

But in another swift motion he had unbuckled the girl's seat belt.

"Please!" she cried. "I won't question you again, I swear!"

"You know what I said- question me, ever, and you get kicked out."

Tears streamed down her face as the wind whipped her hair around.

With a great push, the man sent the girl tumbling out onto the street. He carefully closed the door just as she screamed in pain- but he did not hear.

******************************************************************************************

The young girl fled down the street as best as she could. She was gasping in pain, trying her hardest to get away. Her pants were ripped, blood pouring out of a big scrape. Bits of gravel clung to the wound. 

She pushed past everyone she encountered. Several concerned people offered the girl help, but she refused it.

She was running, but to where, she did not know. Perhaps a hospital. Perhaps a police station. Perhaps a place that made her feel safe. But one thing she had learned was that she was never safe....

New York City. She was surprised she had not been taken here until now. Then again, lots of things surprised her. That was what it was like when you were in a strange world you did not understand- everything was a mystery, everything came as a surprise.

She stopped long enough to look into the window of a shop, but she met the eyes of someone, perhaps the owner, her shot her such a poisonous glare that she knew she was not welcome there. In the eyes of the person, she was a delinquent- trouble, if anything.

She forced herself away from the shop and desperately looked around. Even though The Man was good to his word, and not afraid to do what he said, he would no doubt be back, for he needed her. He was not going to let her go, and she knew it. Sighing, she took off into a jog. Her speed increased as her paranoia grew.

She finally stopped in front of what looked like a tower. She paused and bent over, her hands on her legs as she panted. But when she began to remember why she had been running, her head immediately snapped up.