The Porcelain doll

Written by Cansis Widger

Emily's been missing for two weeks with no leads on where she could've gone. How could a six year old girl find her way through the woods?Her mom sobbed into the hand-stitched quilt made for Emily  when she was born.Her father had put his mind to work constantly at his job to avoid the heart ache he felt from the  loss.Emily's 11 year old sister didn't give up hope everyday she'd go searching the woods for clues following the footsteps imprinted in the mud.

"EMILY." she called,coming up to a clearing.No response except the birds flapping their wings.she was giving up hope .She sat on a mossy log trying to hold back the floodgates in her eyes.Then suddenly she heard a branch snap from behind her"huh" she gasped Glancing behind her.The sun shined of something white in the long grass/

She cautiously crept towards the object revealing a porcelain doll with skin white as snow long brown hair ringlets framing her crack face." Maddie" something whispered close by Another gasped escaped her lips as she glanced over her shoulder Nothing.She held the broken doll close to her chest and ran through the woods safely back home.

Maddy brought the doll t her weeping mother"mommy look" she chirped holding the doll up to her mother.Her mother took a step back grabbing the doll from the bottom of the dress "Where did you find this Maddie?" she asked disgusted by the look of the broken and dirty doll"In the clearing where me and emily were playing before she disappeared ."Maddie explained "I told you not to go back there"Her mother scolded  holding the doll by her side."mommy" A little girl whispered the mother was staring at maddie and it wasn't her.

She cautiously held the doll by both of her hands "I missed you" The mother was now sure the whisper was from the doll she threw the doll toward the wall and moved back pulling maddie with her.The dolls head swiftly turned towards her"Why would you hurt me mommy?"The doll spoke clearly.

"I am not your mother"she quivered "but mommy it's me Emily"the doll had no emotion in it's words the mother was speechless unsure if what it was saying was true ,Was she losing her mind" Mommy Please I just want to come home"Again no emotion the mother stepped closer" How do I know it's you?" She asked"The birthmark on my wrist" and sure enough the misshaping state of texas birthmark was there.