𝐶𝐻𝐴𝑃𝑇𝐸𝑅 𝐼

Start from the beginning

'Okay, Lorelei, go ahead,' Chase said and focused back on his tablet. He typed in her name and glanced over the list of bionic abilities. He hadn't noticed how Lorelei struggled to think of what to do, still incredibly proud of the program he'd created within ten minutes with Mr Davenport.

She hastily placed her hands against one another and rubbed them together, feeling static energy jump between her fingertips. As she moved her hands away from each other, an electric staff formed. Its poisonous green color radiated brightly in her eyes as she soaked up the power of it.

Chase documented the ability on his tablet with a short nod. 'A laser staff, alright,' he mumbled as he typed something. 'What other abilities do you have? Super speed, super strength, super intelligence, geo-leaping, molecular kinesis—'

'—Chase, if you shut up for a moment, she can show you what she can do,' Bree interrupted Chase's rambling. She was sitting on the concrete-coloured, circular seat that rounded three-quarters of the training center. With her were Adam and Leo, the latter leaning backwards on his elbows.

Lorelei's hands twitched by her side at the mention of the abilities, none of which she possessed. Then, a thought came to mind in a moment of clarity. So many eyes were burning on her to continue since Bree spoke up. It was only now that she noticed that the trio on the seats were also focused on the assessments, meaning she had to convince not only Chase but his siblings too.

Copying the movements she'd watched Sebastian do, Lorelei manipulated the weights for the super strong into the air before pushing it away from its place. It flew until it crashed into the wall, leaving a deep dent as it became stuck there.

'What was that?' Leo asked. He sat up straight at once, mesmerized by the weight embedded in the wall. 'Is that even a bionic ability?'

'It's molecular kinesis, Leo,' Chase said and let out a sigh. 'Fully mastered, I'm assuming.'

The more Chase typed on his tablet, the more nervous Lorelei became. All students before her had at least four or five abilities, but she could only manage to mimic two of them. When Chase motioned for her to continue, she quietly cleared her throat. 'Those are the only two abilities I remember having,' she said and crossed her arms to appear more confident.

'That's okay,' Chase reassured her. 'If you ever remember any more, you can let me know. For now, you can get an orange shirt for yourself.'

Leo jumped up from his seat in complete and utter disbelief and placed his hands—one of which was bionic—on his hips. 'What?! She has two abilities and she gets an orange shirt, while I only get yellow? How is she advanced and I'm a beginner?' he protested.

'You saw the control she has of those two abilities. It's not about how many abilities someone has,' Chase argued.

As the two of them continued to bicker back and forth, Lorelei left the training center to put on a black shirt with orange sleeves. She sighed in relief, rolling her shoulders back to let go of the tense feeling in her body. For someone who claimed to be the smartest guy on earth, Lorelei found Chase rather easy to fool.

While she knew he wasn't Donald's son, it was obvious that Chase was raised by him. They had both equally as smug personalities and insufferable god-complexion. Fraternizing with the enemy was going to be harder than she thought it would be. She was already furious with rage at the sight of them, let alone having to pretend to like them.

Bree seemed most sufferable out of all of them. She didn't ramble, just stated things the way they were. She had a loud opinion when she needed it, which Lorelei could appreciate. The best thing she'd done so far was shut up Chase. She was also the least loyal family member, which would be Lorelei's way in.