𝐱𝐱𝐢𝐯. 𝐡𝐞'𝐥𝐥 𝐦𝐚𝐤𝐞 𝐢𝐭 𝐛𝐚𝐜𝐤

❛ SURVIVOR'S HEART !
chapter twenty-four ―― he'll make it back

❛ SURVIVOR'S HEART ! ❜chapter twenty-four ―― he'll make it back

ˏˋ°•*⁀➷ "I MEAN, IT WAS LEGENDARY

ˏˋ°•*⁀➷ "I MEAN, IT WAS LEGENDARY."  Rick spoke, his voice low as he sat in the chair next to Carl's bed. Lori sat on the bed, next to the boy and Charlie sat on the floor with her back against the wall and an oversized flannel that Maggie had given her when the girl got cold. "Did you ever hear about the time Shane stole Kingsley's car?" Charlie chuckled at the memory of the day her brother had picked her up from school and told her about the glorious day he'd had.

"Yeah." Lori nodded, her voice shaky.

"The principal's car. Right out of the teachers' lot middle of the school day." He shook his head, looking over Charlie who had closed her eyes and leaned her head back against the wall. "Shane steps out of lunch and makes a beeline to Kingsley's Hyundai. . ." He chuckled a little when Charlie's smile grew. "-wires the ignition, peels out, drives down Dylan Drive to that chicken farm out there. You've heard this before, right?"

"Many, many times." Charlie mumbled, her smile still wide and her eyes still closed – she had always loved this story. Mostly because her brother was a badass and she looked up to him, but also because of the joy she saw on his face that day, like he had done the coolest thing in the world – he was rolling on cloud nine for at least a week afterwards. He was in such a good mood that he had taken her out for ice cream almost every night they week, before she told him she'd had entirely too much and she couldn't eat another bite.

"So he pulls it into one of the big holdin' pens." He continued. "Kingsley, he waxed that thing every month, had the auto shop vacuum it out every week. Shane, he parks it in this huge pen with a couple hundred Rhode Island Reds, he busts open bags of seed in the back seat, rolls down all the windows, and then starts sprinting back to school. It's three miles away easy. He's back in time to finish his sandwich before the bell. And then the bell rings, Shane gets up and when he runs into Kingsley in the hallway he looks out the window and says-"

"Principal Kingsley, your coupe's gone." Charlie cut him off, a quiet laugh behind her words.

"Yeah." Rick chuckled a little as he looked at the girl, she had yet to move, then he looked over at Lori. "Coupe, like chicken coop." He clarified.