alex x yn part 1

trigger warnings: tobacco and alcohol depictions

you'd always been the camera person. always there, but never really there. oh no you absolutely loved your job, but you constantly wondered if there was a better one. it was torture in the best form. you got to tour with arctic monkeys, but you felt more like a fan than part of the crew. you couldn't blame the boys though. they simply minded their business and did what they were told (for the most part). you just followed them with a camera while they often updated what was happening. you think you might dislike the job because it made you feel like a paparazzi, even though you knew that's not what you were. you and the boys had spoken a few times, but mostly about work and only work.

one night, the day their new album "suck it and see" debuted, they all decided to go on a huge team party at a local pub in sheffield. everyone was having a great time. there were so many of you guys, at that point you basically took the whole bar for yourself.

you'd worn a dark green silk dress that fell just above your knees. your hair was lightly curled with a few small braids throughout. you'd caught alex looking at you a few times, but you brushed it off, assuming you were just imagining it. i mean what did you expect? know practically every aspect of his life, know all his good angles (which seemed like almost all of them), and spend hours upon hours rewatching and editing videos of him, and it'd make sense to grow a crush. but he had so many women that were in love with him, you knew you didn't have a chance.

you walk out of the bathroom, passing the bar with high stools where the drinks were served. all four of the boys were chatting, clearly past a few drinks. you make your way outside through the crowd. it was a different world outside. the cool wind chilled your face and ears. the only sounds were the cars in the distance and the muffled chatter from behind you. when you look into the street, you can see the orange glow from the pub reflecting onto the street.

your hand finds its way into your small handheld purse, where you pull out a cigarette pack. you flick open your metal lighter and quickly light the cigarette, then put it all back.

you're leaning against a pole, silently breathing puffs of smoke, when you hear the door open. someone stands next to you without a word. you don't need to look though, you know it's alex. his smell, his footsteps, the way he breathes even. you knew everything about him. he pulls out a cigarette himself, and reaches for his lighter. after a few tries it still doesn't work, and you look over. he catches you, and looks at you.

"could ya-?" he holds out the cigarette. you pull yours out of your mouth with your two fingers and sigh, blowing a large puff of smoke into the air. you flip your lighter out again, lighting his. he nods gratefully and puts it to his mouth. you see another lighter sticking out from his back pocket, the one you watched him buy only a few days ago.

"congrats," you say quietly.

"come again?"

"the album. congrats."

he looks over at you, smiling slightly.

"you like it?" he asks. now it's your turn to look at him.

"course i do! i love all your albums al," you ensure. he smiles more at that thought.

"hey um, the monkeys are goin' on tour in a couple of days and i know you're supposed to be on break but i was wondering if you would come with us?" your head quickly turns at his words. they got a different camera person for this tour and concerts, did they cancel or something?

he must've seen the confusion in your face because he quickly cleared it up, "oh no no no not on work! it'd be like a holiday, all expenses paid."

"oh-alex that's..are you sure? just one extra person would take you guys far above the budget," you worry.

"don't worry it'll work out. im not letting ye say no to this yn."

a week later you find yourself flying to las vegas, nevada for their first tour destination. you had been looking at their 2011 tour schedule, constantly checking where you'd be going next. you sat on the window seat, with alex in the middle and matt on the aisle. matt was sound asleep with his neck pillow, and alex was holding his phone comically close to his face, muttering curses every once in a while.

"for fucks sake who designed this shit," he says. you try to hold in a laugh, but it sneaks out. he looks up, annoyed.

"stop laughing. me bloody phones broken."

"what's wrong with it?" you say, still smiling.

"it's so dark. i cant see shit and i cant read anything," he continues, getting more frustrated. you laugh, taking the phone.

"al you're such an old man. just swipe up and you see the whole menu, and slide this bar up." as you slide it, the screen gets brighter.

"thas too much for me to handle. i want me flip phone back," he complains. you chuckle again and hand it back to him. completely stupid and not on purpose and totally platonically, your hands brushed each others. he didn't react, so you don't react. but inside you were absolutely disgusted in yourself. you were being so gross about it when you knew he didn't give two damns about you. not gross like fantasizing, more gross like "you know he doesn't care about you so stop forcing yourself to think he does".

you unintentionally let out a sigh, and limply turning your head to look out the window.

"something wrong?" alex asks from next to you.

"no i'm fine," you reply, not looking at him. you couldn't talk to him about it. what you would you say anyways? "oh i'm completely and utterly in love with you and i know you don't care about me and i'm thinking about it all with you right next to me and you're so close and i can smell you and i know it's weird that i notice your smell but it's so perfect and i could recognize it in a crowd of a million men".

if only it was that easy.

"i'm thick but i'm smart enough to know that when someone says they're fine they aren't. what wrong love?" you turned around when he said love. ughhh now you practically had to tell him. he was so cute, sitting there. his hair was a bundled mess on his head, fluffed up in certain spots.

"i'm just frustrated. but you wouldn't understand, you can get any lady you want. and i have a crush on someone that i know doesnt like me back. it's annoying," you give in. he quickly looks you up and down, then thinks about his reply.

"i can try to understand. but it's hard to know someone for sure. if ye spend enough time with them then you'd know how they work. it's also common that if you fancy them, they most likely do too. what's their name?" he inquires.

"you don't know him so it doesn't have any relevance."

"you're in me life so much we practically share them at this point so i wanna knowwww," he pries.

"well his name is jack. we uhm met at a pub and he gave me his number platonically but i don't think he wants to get into anything serious. i really do like him though."

it was a white lie, so obvious absolutely anyone could spot it. but right now alex wasn't anyone. he was too tipsy to work as a normal human. he hums in response, and downs another drink on his tray. you turns his head away and closes his eyes, as if you were never having a conversation. then, he begins humming something.

"ooh la la la ooh la la la oh la la la ooh..." he mumbles.

"al...you okay?" you ask. he quickly opens his eyes as if he'd been taking a nap.

"hm? no no, just uh working on a new song. shittt," he says. you want to laugh again. he was fine moments ago, but alcohol hits him like a truck. an invisible truck though. he'll go from the most intelligent man you knew to the drunkest in a matter of seconds. you knew he wouldn't be fixed for a few more hours, so you decide to rest yours eyes for a moment.

an: this was gonna be a one parter but i felt bad for not posting for y'all soo 😘😘 i'm also working on another (longer) alex fanfic atm so if you enjoy this then def check it out when it's posted love yall 🫶🏼🫶🏼-lana