3

• Eden's POV •

Tears were streaming down my face as I pulled Peyton farther and farther away from Jordan. I wiped them away quickly.

"What a first impression" I said with a laugh. Peyton laughed too.

"Boyfriend?" She asked.

"Ex" I clarified. She pointed to the pizza shop in the distance and we started heading for it.

"What happened?" She asked.

"I'm from Chicago. I moved all the way out here with him because I was hopelessly in love with him. He was great. He treated me wonderfully. We got an apartment together and everything seemed great. It was great. But then I realized that I wasn't Eden anymore. I was just Jordan's girlfriend. I had no ambitions of my own. I do everything Jordan did and everything he wanted to do. I wanted my own life" I said.

"Wow" Peyton said.

"That's the nice version" I said with a laugh. "A lot more happened" I said, glancing down at the small scar on my toe. How can you forget about something when there was physical evidence of it on your body?

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

I learned a lot about Peyton. She was from Oregon and she was majoring in education. I think she'd make a great teacher. It was refreshing to have someone to talk to. It was refreshing to have a friend.

"You know your way back to the dorms right? I have to stop at the activities office before I come back" she said. I nodded.

"I'll see you soon" I said with a wave and started to head back. I thought that this was going to be my new start but Jordan is here. Why does he have to be here? Why can't I just find peace? I was looking down at my phone as I ran straight into someone. "Oh, sorry" I said, looking up. He was smiling at me.

"It's all good, I wasn't paying attention either" he said with a laugh.

"I am not making the best first impressions today" I said. He continued to laugh.

"Okay, okay, okay. Let's pretend that didn't just happen" he said. He turned and started to walk away but then turned around again. He took a few stepped towards me and stopped. "Oh my god, hey!" He said to me. It made me laugh.

"Hey!" I said.

"I'm so glad you're going to school here too!" He said with too much enthusiasm. I tried to contain my giggles.

"I know! It's totally awesome!" I said. I was almost yelling. We both broke out into laughter. God, it felt good to laugh again.

"Pretty great first impression, right?" He asked. "Going to the girls dorms?" I nodded. "I'll walk with you" he said. He was kind of cute.

"Eden" I said.

"Hmm?" He asked.

"That's my name, Eden" I said again.

"Pretty name for a pretty girl" he said. That made me blush a bit. "I'm Logan"