CHAPTER 42: PROM AND HERO IN A TUX

Start from the beginning

Judy and Dennis left.  I said, "Tommy I know this sounds silly, but Allison is taking Judy and I to the salon, and to get our hair, nails, and makeup professionally done."

Tom smiled.  He said, "that doesn't sound silly, but it's unnecessary, because you are already beautiful, you don't need any of that stuff."  I said, "Thank you."

Tom said, "Sydney I am not going to lie. I'm really worried about tomorrow night. But hopefully with all of us there, and Adam we will be able to spot whoever this sick person is and stop them before they can strike."  I nodded.

Tom said, "But I want you and Judy to enjoy your prom. So, I have made some plans."  I said, "Really what plans."  Tom said, "dinner before for us 4, if that sounds ok to you."  I said, "yes that would be perfect. Thanks Tommy."

He said, "I still can't believe you didn't have all the guys in school asking you to prom."

I said, "Even if this is a case, and a serious one, where lives are at stake, I'm still certain that this prom will make up for the ones I didn't get to go too. I have a very handsome date."  I smiled.  Tom smirked.

My phone rang. It was my dad.  I said, "Daddy please don't try and" He said, "I'm not going to try sweetheart. I just wanted to make sure that you are going to come over before you and Tom head to prom. I want to see you two and get some pictures."  I said, "ok daddy thank you. We will stop by."  

I said, "My dad wants us to stop by his house, for pictures. I guess he's treating this like a real prom date too."  I laughed.  Tom said, "it is a real prom date. I fully intend to dance with my beautiful date."

Saturday morning Judy came over and then Allison came by to take us to breakfast, and then to the salon for our appointments.

Tom's view:

The doorbell rang, as I was headed upstairs.  I went back to open the door.  It was Sydney's. dad.

I said, "Come in sir.  Sydney already left."

He said, '"I know I'm here to see you, Tom. If you have a minute."

I said, "Sure."  We sat on the couch.  I don't know why but I'm feeling really nervous right now, sitting on the couch with Sydney's dad, and he's being quiet. I'm not sure what to say, I want to break the silence, but can't find the words.

He said, "Tom, I just want you to promise me that nothing will happen to my little girl tonight. I know that she's grown and all the risks with her job, and I know that you can't stop bad people from doing what they have planned, but I need to know that you are looking out for her."

I said, "Absolutely sir. I give you, my word. I will keep her safe. I'm dreading tonight in a way, as excited as Sydney is for the prom, even if it is work, I'm worried that she is in danger, along with Judy. But I will protect her."

He said, "Thank you son. Sydney is really excited about tonight; she has been gushing about it."  I smiled at that.  I said, "I'm excited too. I know she is going to be the most beautiful girl there."

He said, "I definitely agree. You're a good man Hanson. I'm glad that my daughter has you."

That made me feel bad. I mean he is a really nice guy, and here I am lying to him. If he knew the truth, that she is only helping me get a job promotion. I mean I do love her; more than I ever thought I could love someone.

He said, "did Sydney tell you that I want you two kids to come by so I can get pictures."

I said, "yes she told me. I am going to try and give her one of the best nights of her life."  He smiled at me.  He said, "Thank you son. It means a lot to me, that you are treating this as a real prom. It means more to her that you could know."