Chapter 15. Laena

<⚠️ ATTENTION! THIS IS A TRIGGER WARNING! Forcing oneself into another (not the r word, but there are attempted sexual advances made by a woman) if you are triggered, scroll from " Was this why Rhaenyra treated Alicent so harshly?" to " This is why you've been so cruel to my wife!" as the triggering part happens between these two sentences. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED! PLEASE PROCEED WITH CAUTION! ⚠️>

Watching Laena's coffin as it sat, ready for a traditional Velaryon funeral, broke Alicent's heart.

Laena was pushing, crying, screaming and eventually burning to death while Alicent was making love to her husband.

What sort of friend did that make her?
Daemon held onto his wife as she cried into his chest, a wave of disgust as he stared at his brother.

The twice-widowed King, as Daemon had taken to calling his older brother, never to his face or out loud.

Rhaenyra didn't seem too upset that her stepmother-slash-good-sister was dead, a little uncomfortable that Laena died similarly to her mother, Aemma, during the perils of childbirth.

Rhaenys comforted Baela and Rhaena, who wept as she tried her best to comfort them but failed as she, too, was grieving her daughter. Corlys remained stoic, but underneath, he was as gutted as his wife, son and granddaughters.

Vaemond Velaryon performed the rites, making a not-so-subtle dig at Rhaenyra's boys' paternity.

Daemon began chuckling at that before Alicent squeezed his arm, reminding him of their current situation, and he stopped, returning to his stoic form once again.

After the pallbearers dropped Laena's coffin into the sea, the funeral procession gathered outside, having various conversations as dragons flew overhead.

Rhaenyra stepped outside and saw Daemon, who refused to face her, instead focusing on his bereaved wife and their children.

"Go and say a kind word to your cousins. Perhaps a hug would lighten their pain?" Alicent spoke softly to her younger children. Daeron nodded happily and went to Baela and Rhaena, hugging them.

"Queen Laena was the nicest lady besides Mūna I knew. She's the bestest Queen we ever had." The youngest Targaryen boy said, making Baela smile while Rhaena nodded, tears filling their eyes as their grandmother approached them.

"Thank you for your kind words, Prince Daeron. Your mother has raised you well." Rhaenys smiled at the boy, who bowed his head and ran back to his mother.

Alicent noticed Rhaenyra was talking to Jace until the eldest Strong bastard walked away. Meanwhile, the three elder Targaryen children stood close to the King's tent as the brothers watched Helaena.

"Hand turns loom; spools of red, spoils of black; dragons of flesh weaving dragons of thread." Helaena quietly mumbled as she observed a spider in her hands.

"I cannot believe Uncle and Rhaenyra want our sister to marry her son!" Aegon bluntly spat, drinking his cup of wine.

Aemond watched their sister. "At least Mother and Father refused, and now they're discussing marrying her to a Martell."

"Then why aren't they making marriage alliances for us? For Aelinor, Alyssa and Daeron?"

"Because I'm going to marry Alyssa, and from what Aelinor tells Alyssa, she wishes to marry you," Aemond argued.

Aegon snorts. "Aelinor? She's more likely to join the Kingsguard! She dresses like a man, uses swords and behaves as if she were a man!"

"So? She's a warrior like Nymeria and Visenya." Aemond comments.