Chapter 8. Return of the Rogue Prince

It was 114 AC, and Aegon had grown from a newborn to a young toddler. His white hair and purple eyes showed his heritage as a Valyrian. Alicent doted on her son, telling him stories about his brave father and the giant dragon his father rode and his little dragonling who had to move into the Dragonstone dragon pit.

Upon hearing he had a nephew, Viserys sent a gold egg to Dragonstone and instructed Alicent put it in Aegon's crib so he and the dragon inside the egg could form a bond. The egg hatched, and when Aegon began speaking, he shrieked, "Sunfyre!"

Alicent's Valyrian learning had grown. She knew how to form complete sentences in Valyrian and played with Aegon, making time for her baby boy. She had toy blocks and little wooden dragons and the plushest dragon teddies made for her little prince.

She even knew what Daemon had said to her over a year ago. Avy jorrāelan issa ābrazȳrys

I love you, my wife.

Alicent couldn't stop smiling after she triple-checked the translation to make sure she got it right. He loves her. The Rogue Prince said he loved her.

Now, Aegon was one and Rhaenys', and Corlys' letters all say the same thing. That Daemon's eagerness to come home is helping win the war in the Stepstones. Alicent's prayers to the Seven and Valyrian gods have paid off well, as Daemon would be coming home soon.

The Triarchy were defeated, and Daemon's sword, Dark Sister, killed the Crabfeeder. According to Corlys, Daemon dedicated the final two blows to Alicent and Aegon. The people in the Stepstones crowned Daemon their King, which made Alicent their Queen and little Aegon the Prince.

Corlys had returned to Driftmark with his fleet, Laenor and Laenor's dragon, Seasmoke, while Daemon mounted Caraxes and flew to Dragonstone. He had two people more important than his brother to meet.

Upon landing on Dragonstone, he patted Caraxes, who slowly lay on the ground while his master walked to the keep and inside.

"Where's my wife?" He asked a passing servant.

The servant bowed. "Princess Alicent is in the nursery with Prince Aegon. She spends half her time with the little Prince."

Daemon smiled as he rushed towards the second floor of the keep and could hear Alicent coming from the hallway. As he crept to the door, Daemon saw his wife of nearly two years playing with their son, who had a mop of silver hair and was grasping a wooden dragon in his chubby fist. The door creaked, and Alicent looked up to see her husband standing there, a proud smirk on his face.

"Aegon, look who's here!" Alicent whispered excitedly, her brown eyes darting from Aegon to Daemon.

Aegon turned his head to see an unfamiliar man. He lifted his little arm to give the strange man his wooden dragon, only to shriek when the man raised him in his arms.

"Hello, Aegon. Do you know who I am?" Daemon softly asked, looking into his son's lilac eyes.

"Kepa!" The toddler called out. Alicent felt like her heart was melting.

Daemon chuckled as he brought his son to his chest and felt his tiny heart beating. "That's right, my son. I am your father. I guess your mother has told you about me."

"Bave knight." Aegon babbled as he handed his father his wooden dragon.

"Is this for me?" Daemon asked his son, who sleepily nodded, snuggling closer to his father.

Alicent walked up, slowly and gently taking the toy from her son's hands and placing it with his blocks. "Viserys sent them as presents to celebrate the little Prince."