022.

★

December 25th 2014
6 years ago...

Arls sits alone in the back garden of my mother's house. She has this cheesy Christmas jumper that my mum forced all of us to wear this morning when we rolled out of bed and dragged our sleepy selves downstairs to open gifts.

Wrapped around her shoulders is a fuzzy blanket that she was given by my mum early this morning. I watch from inside the warm doorway as she lifts her glass of wine to her lips and takes a gulp while tipping her head back to look at the stars.

"You should go and talk to her," My sister comes and stands beside me, the two of us hidden inside to watch her through the glass of the window. "This is her first Christmas since her mum passed, I think–"

"I'm giving her a minute," I tell Gemma softly, lifting my own glass of red to my lips. "She needs a moment to process it and then I'll go and talk to her,"

Gemma hums, nudging me in the ribs with her elbow softly. "I know I've told you this before but she really is something special,"

"I know," I reply before pulling the door open and stepping out into the brisk air that is colder than I was expecting.

Arlie tightens the blanket around her as I take slow, steady steps up to the small wall she has taken a seat on.

"Hey, Trouble,"

She smiles when I take a seat beside her, opening her arms to wrap the blanket around both of us. I lift her up a little and place her down on my lap and then tighten my arms and the blanket around both of us.

"Do you see it?" She points her slender finger up to the night sky. "Polaris,"

I follow her finger, relishing the small, contented smile on her face. "What's Polaris?"

"The North Star, silly." She hums, leaning her head into mine as she fondly looks up at the star. "I can see it here, I didn't think I was going to be able to talk to my Grandpa this Christmas,"

"I know, baby," I reply, pressing my lips into her temple. "Did you have a good catch-up?"

She nods again, smiling sadly. "It was good. I got a lot out,"

"Did you tell him about your mum?"

She nods stiffly. "I told him about some other stuff too,"

"Yeah?"

"He would be upset with me," She confesses. "He would be so upset with me if he knew what happened two months ago."

Running my finger idly up and down the silky material of her legs covered in opaque tights and hum while I carefully think about how I want to reply to her here.

"I think he would be proud of you,"

She scoffs, her small nose scrunching up in disdain as she shakes her head frantically. Her hair tickles my face as it swishes around her face.