xxxvii. all on the line

clementine
3:05pm

- 𝕗𝕠𝕦𝕣 𝕞𝕚𝕟𝕦𝕥𝕖𝕤 𝕦𝕟𝕥𝕚𝕝 𝕣𝕖𝕘𝕚𝕒 𝕤𝕠𝕝𝕚𝕤 𝕤𝕒𝕥𝕖𝕝𝕝𝕚𝕥𝕖 𝕚𝕤 𝕗𝕦𝕝𝕝𝕪 𝕒𝕔𝕥𝕚𝕧𝕒𝕥𝕖𝕕 -

It happens so quick.

There's no time to think about O'Brian's words.

We have four minutes.

All of us run. None of us do it quietly.

Jill and Leon are at the front, shooting down whatever comes at us. The thing is, a lot of undesirables come out from their hiding place in the dark, rotting corners, when six people are stomping down a metallic echoing chamber, guns blazing.

Bodies of ooze lunge toward us, but Jill and Leon are sharpshooters. They don't miss much.

If they miss, they press on, with Chris and Jessica after them, finishing off whatever is left.

It's unlikely something reaches Parker and I, at the end of the line. Leon told Parker to keep his eyes on me, and just me. I didn't know whether to be pissed off or flattered.

I'm eager to prove to him I am not making any more mistakes like I did with Arthur, but at the same time I am not ready to be facing off the disgusting half-fish, half-rotting corpses that are running at us.

We need to be pragmatic to reach the foredeck. To avoid anything that slows us down.

- 𝕥𝕙𝕣𝕖𝕖 𝕞𝕚𝕟𝕦𝕥𝕖𝕤 𝕦𝕟𝕥𝕚𝕝 𝕣𝕖𝕘𝕚𝕒 𝕤𝕠𝕝𝕚𝕤 𝕤𝕒𝕥𝕖𝕝𝕝𝕚𝕥𝕖 𝕚𝕤 𝕗𝕦𝕝𝕝𝕪 𝕒𝕔𝕥𝕚𝕧𝕒𝕥𝕖𝕕 -

"Maybe we can just jump off the ship and get a chopper to our location," Jessica says desperately, breathlessly as she runs.

"We don't have outside help anymore, Jessica," Parker shouts at her.

"What even are we meant to do with the UAV?" She asks.

"Aim it at the satellite. Confuse its targeting system." Jill replies, shooting down something that looks like a mix between a large clam fish and a cockroach.

"Hopefully we don't end up in the water at all," Chris says, stepping aside so the thing doesn't fall on him.

Leon looks over his shoulder to check on me. I smile at him, but I'm not sure my smile reaches my eyes. As the seconds tick on, it is starting to feel like I might not make it out of here.

I try not to think about it.

Jessica pauses, stopping for a second. "But if we do—"

Chris bumps into her, because she stopped abruptly right in front of him. "Christ, Jessica, do you know how to follow orders and shutting the fuck up?!" he snaps at her. But then he exhales. "We are kind of on a major time crunch here."

She looks at me and then at Leon. When she looks back at me, something has changed in her face.

"I guess we are."

- 𝕥𝕨𝕠 𝕞𝕚𝕟𝕦𝕥𝕖𝕤 𝕦𝕟𝕥𝕚𝕝 𝕣𝕖𝕘𝕚𝕒 𝕤𝕠𝕝𝕚𝕤 𝕤𝕒𝕥𝕖𝕝𝕝𝕚𝕥𝕖 𝕚𝕤 𝕗𝕦𝕝𝕝𝕪 𝕒𝕔𝕥𝕚𝕧𝕒𝕥𝕖𝕕 -