Chapter 3 - The Reflection

Next Day

Princess Elsa wailed sharp at six. Let it go! Let it go! It was the pitch that was an everyday annoyance for Ira because it gradually increased with every Let it go. Ira would have really liked to have the default alarm tone on her mobile but Nikky had insisted on this. The alarm set off in Ira’s bedroom, but it was so loud that it could even wake the hibernating bears.

As soon as the noise pierced Nikky’s ears, she ducked herself more into the quilt and wished for the time to pause for a few more minutes. She knew mamma would be in the room any moment to shake her out of her cosy bed.

’You know this doesn’t work with me, Nikky,’ Ira said as she entered the room.

’Just two more minutes, mamma,’ Nikky pleaded.

’No, you have got sufficient sleep. We don’t want to be late for school,’ Ira said raising her voice to sound effective. Ira detested it, but it was the only thing that worked every morning. Nikky pulled a face and got off the bed, stretching her hands over her head. ‘I’m up, mamma,’ she said with a sweet smile and waited for her to leave the room. As she did, Nikky quickly pulled the diary out from under the bed and rushed into the bathroom.

The sight of the full-length mirror made her active instantly. Nikky stared at herself in the mirror for a few seconds and then proceeded to hide the diary in its secret place, which was between the wall and the bathtub corner. Nikky had found the hidey-hole on the third day after she moved into the new house. ‘Be still,’ Nikky said, patting the tub and then picked up the toothbrush and toothpaste. She had barely squeezed the tube when a voice just like hers greeted her from behind. ‘Good morning, Nikky.’

Nikky swirled around, darting her eyes back and forth for the source. The voice was clear but cold. Her mind spun in confusion. Did I really hear myself? She chewed on that thought as she gazed into her own eyes in the mirror. A minute passed. Then two. Nothing happened. Only her breathing and the occasional water droplets falling into the bathtub were breaking the unusual stillness.

Nikky waited another minute for a response and when there was none, she broke her gaze and squeezed the tube onto the toothbrush, her ears still alert for any sound.

Nikky finished brushing her teeth, crushed the toothbrush into her molars and turned around to give a last disconcerting look at the full-length mirror. ‘Say something!’ her mind had just blared when she heard a soft shuffle and saw her reflection crossing her arms across her chest. ‘Did you sleep well, Nikky?’ the reflection said, a wry smile spread across her face.

Nikky froze, blinking her eyes in disbelief. The voice was hers. She gazed at her reflection as it flopped its head from one side to another, her eyes fixed on Nikky’s.

‘Did you?’ her reflection whispered, jerking forward abruptly that it frightened Nikky. Fear started to pulse through her veins now. Am I really getting paranoid or is my super-imagination Rikky actually real?

Seeing her flabbergasted, Rikky broke into laughter. ’Don’t be afraid, Nikky,’ she said controlling herself and then continued in a sober tone, ‘I’m not going to hurt you. I can talk and think on my own. It’s true that I am your reflection but we aren’t one but two different personalities. You are you and I am I. It’s a different world here. And I like the name you have given me.’

Nikky stared at her reflection as if she was seeing it for the first time. She was about to say something when there was a knock on the bathroom door. A furious voice commanded, ‘Hurry up, Nikky. Out you come.’ Nikky’s voice choked in her throat.

‘Look we are friends, aren’t we?’ Rikky said as silently as it could but there was an unexpected edge of desperation in her tone. Nikky moved towards the door as the knocks intensified but Rikky disregarded the vigorous blows and continued in a hushed voice. ‘You have been trying to talk to me every single day since you set eyes on this one-of-a-kind mirror. I am sorry I continued to ignore you and just lip synced and mimicked like mirrors are supposed to do. I finally got tired of it. Aren’t you glad I can talk on my own?’ Ira’s repeated calls were now throwing a shocked Nikky into a panic state. She had to speak or she would make her mother suspicious. Nikky removed the toothbrush from her mouth with her trembling hands and mustered courage to speak. ‘Two more minutes, mamma.’ The knocks ceased immediately. Nikky heard the footsteps retreat and the grumbling fade away into the distance.

‘You are not supposed to talk on your own,’ Nikky retorted after her bedroom door slammed shut. Nikky placed her hand on her chest in relief and regained her composer. ‘Is this real? I mean you don’t exist, do you?’

‘I am here Nikky. I was always here. Look, I am talking with you.’ Her reflection sounded nonchalant and she stared at her nails.

‘I’ll have to rub my eyes a million times to believe this,’ Nikky said as her initial fear quickly transformed into excitement. ‘Can we talk again when I return from school?’ Nikky wished she could stay back home but knew her mother would never acquiesce to any of her excuses. And it was too late to feign sickness.

‘I will be around, but make sure this is kept a secret. I am a private person just like you, Nikky.’