𝐱𝐯𝐢𝐢. child of faerie and angel !

Start from the beginning

Her body reacted before her mind. Ana scuffled back further against the wall, curling her knees into herself to help protect her center. She didn't know if she could trust this woman who seemed to be made of pure shadow. She didn't know if this woman was intent on causing her more pain or finally relieving her of it.

For a moment, Ana thought she was staring into the eyes of the Grim Reaper. Death herself. The woman was beautiful, surely, and Ana would have no problems with allowing her to take her spirit off to the land of the blessed. Maybe if she died, she would finally have the chance to apologize to Dmitri and Nadia for not helping them. For leaving them behind.

"My Lady?" she asked again, snapping Ana out of her head. The blonde blinked away her tears and sniffled. The woman's eyes were full of concern and care. "I am Nuala, my Lady. My High Lord sent me to see how you were doing. To see if you were awake yet."

Ana swallowed thickly. Was this real? Was she real? Who was she talking about? "Wherewhere am I?"

She had to start somewhere. She had to try and organize her thoughts as best as she could. Years of Shadowhunter training forced her to push her emotions aside so she could focus on the task at hand. 

First, she had to figure out where she was. Only then could she start forming a plan of escape. Her current plan was survival, like it had been all those years ago. Survive wherever she was until she knew how to escape and free herself. And maybe, just maybe, take whoever brought her here down painfully.

Nuala frowned. "You are Under the Mountain, my Lady. In her torture chamber. You have been for the past week."

Ana's mouth was dry, her skin clammy. She curled into herself even more and realized that she was in her clothes from the Spring Court. The Spring Court! She'd been talking with the suriel about her heritage and her abilities when the Attor and a few other fae surrounded her and captured her. Amarantha had officially taken over the Spring Court, because Tamlin's time was up. She remembered.

"A week?" Ana asked.

Nuala nodded. "She has had you stuck under a spell, forcing you to relive your worst memories. She hopes to break your spirit because she knows you can stop her. Stop her plans."

That explained it. Magic strong enough to force her to relive all of that and feel the pain. It didn't mean everything she saw wasn't realthe magic had only brought the memories back up. Everything Dmitri and Nadia had saideverything they had accused her ofhad been real. Their looks of pure hatred had been real. The feelings they'd induced in Ana had been real. It had all been real.

She looked at her body, wincing when she saw scratch marks along her skin and bruises. She must've been clawing at her skin while trapped in her own mind. That's why the pain had felt so real. 

"Why has she stopped?" Ana asked. She needed to know everything before she could act. She was Under the Mountain, which meant that she was in the center of Prythian (if her research had been correct). Trapped with her were all the inhabitants of Prythian that Amarantha saw as threats or servants. Meaning she was stuck in the same spot as seven High Lords, multiple High Fae, and horrible lesser fae who got pleasure from others' pain. Ana was going to slaughter Amarantha. "Why set me free? I'm not broken yet, am I?"

She truly didn't know. She'd been broken before, so was it possible to break her anymore? Could you break what's already been broken? Was it possible?

"She stopped because she doesn't want you to die. She wants to keep you around for a very long time, my Lady. As her plaything," Nuala explained. She studied Ana with her shadowed eyes. "I will go get my High Lord. He will want to see you."