The Resurrection Stone, Part Three

(10)

Dumbledore was pacing in the Headmaster's office.

His phoenix was overdue for a burning and Regulus's ghost stared at the poor dying bird in horror as it gasped smoke. 

"Can't you help him?" Regulus asked. "Isn't there something you can do to make it easier for him to start his burning?"

Dumbledore was muttering to himself, and didn't even pause to look at the bird. "He will burn when it is time."

"It just looks so painful," Regulus whispered. He wished he could pet the bird, nuzzle it's beak a bit with his finger, and tell it that it would be alright. But every time he tried to touch any living thing it shivered with the cold of death instead of being comforted. So he'd learned not to try.

"He is quite well, Master Regulus."

Regulus stared at Dumbledore. "He doesn't look quite well, sir."

(11)

"He really is getting more transparent," James said.

Regulus was as close to the edge of the water as he dared to go, his hands in his pockets, staring out toward the horizon. The sunset was happening and the way the light was reflecting off the water in front of him made his form seem shimmery as though the opacity was turned way down, less than fifty percent of what he'd been when James had first laid eyes on him across the sands.

"This is what happens when the soul cannot find rest, Mr. Potter," Mopsus said. "Each time he's drawn back into the world of the living, he loses a bit more of his energy."

"What about you? Why haven't you grown transparent?" James asked, looking at the Blind Seer.

Mopsus's mouth twisted in what James could only describe as the saddest smile he'd ever seen in all of his life. It was a crooked one - one side lifted a bit more than the other, and Mopsus let out a breath of a laugh, "I'm afraid that I haven't had a soul in ages."

James looked back at Regulus - something about the look on Mopsus's face unnerved him. Perhaps because it looked a bit too much like himself in a mirror on the days when he thought too much about artefacts and timelines.

"Is that what happens? You run out of soul?" he asked.

"Eventually," Mopsus replied.

"He needs rest."

"Yes he does, Mr. Potter," Mopsus answered, and he sounded so tired as he said it that James wondered if the Blind Seer was speaking of Regulus or of himself.

(12)

He tried not answering when Dumbledore asked questions, hoping that a lack of response would drive Dumbledore to seek answers elsewhere. He hovered about in the Headmaster's office, ignoring the old man and staring at the glow of his watch. It was turning on more often these days without him pressing the button himself and he didn't understand why...

Dumbledore was talking to one of the portraits instead of him anyway, so it was fairly easy to ignore him. 

Until --

"...and tell Sirius that the Order will be arriving at six o'clock this evening to discuss --"

"Sirius?" Regulus had turned over and came near, the cold shoulder he'd been giving Dumbledore for the past two summons completely forgotten about. He looked hopeful. "Is Sirius coming?"