The Stone Basin

Regulus stepped in through the mouth of the cave, the very last traces of sunlight turning the rock face into golden gates.

It was pure darkness beyond.

"Lumos maxima."

The wand shone, bright white light filling the cavern, illuminating the jagged walls and ceiling. The water was rising with the tide outside and Regulus heard a peal of thunder echo in from across the sea. His palm moved against the cold stone as he walked, scraping along the surface.

Kreacher's fist balled around the hem of Regulus's coat, his ears flat, and eyes wide to help him to see in the dark.

Every step they took echoed off the walls of the cave.

White caps of waves broke against the stone, washing over some of the lower ones, dampening the layer of algae that had grown on the top and making some of the steps slippery so that Regulus felt his foot slide periodically. His stomach twisted each time it did, and he would steady himself, catching onto one of the hexagons quickly. "Careful," he said to Kreacher, and he was surprised how loud his regular speaking voice sounded once it had echoed back from the cavern walls.

"Kreacher is very much not liking this, Master Regulus," the elf murmured.

"I'm not liking it either, Kreacher," Regulus said quietly, "But sometimes you have to face things that you don't like in order to do what is right."

"Yes Master Regulus," Kreacher said.

Regulus let go of the rock wall and held his wand in the opposite hand, extending his arm down to offer Kreacher his other. "Here. Hold on to my hand, Kreacher. I promise there's nothing here that will hurt you."

Kreacher trembled. "But last time we were here, Master, last time there was such a lot of things that hurt Kreacher and Master..."

Regulus paused and knelt down. "I promise nothing will hurt you Kreacher, if you listen to every command I give you. Promise me if I give you a command you'll do it right away, whatever it is, without hesitation."

"Yes Master Regulus, Kreacher will obey Master, of course."

The next part of the cave was a six foot drop down, and he scooted across the stone to the edge, letting his legs hang over and looking down the drop. The water was high enough to leave a thin layer over the stone, just enough that it would get the bottom of his shoes wet.

His eyes moved over the surface slowly. The water was still somewhat clear and when he held his wand out at arm's length, he thought he maybe could see the floor of the cave through it. His heart beat quickened.

"Shall Kreacher go first and see if it is safe below, Master Regulus?" Kreacher asked.

"No," Regulus answered. "I will check if it is safe." He paused, still sitting on the ledge. "Kreacher, if anything happens to me... you must go home. Do you understand?"

Kreacher looked at Regulus.

"Promise me."

"Yes Master, Kreacher promises."

"That's even stronger than a command, Kreacher," Regulus told him. "A promise is based on our friendship."

"Yes Master Regulus, Kreacher understands."

"Alright." 

Regulus inched forward and took a deep breath before he plunged over the short drop. His feet splashed into the water, which had already risen to be ankle-deep, just in the time he'd been hesitating on the ledge. He stared at the water as the ripples moved outward from his feet, waiting, half expecting something to happen.