Chapter Two

"Spring! Give me that! It's not a chew toy!" Chasing a dragon-like creature about as tall as a horse is exhausting, especially a hyperactive one. "Blue, can you help me? She took my hammer." I look back only to stare into swirling gold optics with cyan highlighted pupils. The shade of gold reminds me of the piercing gaze of a wolf. BlueMoon makes a rapid clicking sound by using her dentas and tails hitting the ground.

That was their unique way of communication. Dad and I don't know how exactly they developed it but I believe it's natural for the triplets. Speaking of them, SpringMelody and BlueMoon are currently having a stare down while AshSpark is napping in a secluded corner.

"Spring, can you please give me my hammer? I got to fix up the Phantom's exoskeleton so it looks more like you guys." Blue finally snatches the hammer from her baby sister. Blue growls softly only to drop my hammer into my hands.

A sense of understanding washes through my mind. My rational side can only make sense of it by my natural understanding of emotions, but really it was through our empathy link. Don't get confused with telepathy, both are centered around the mind, but an empathy bond lets emotions transfer while telepathy mimics it by the tone of words. I can connect and teach them more about the outside world and the dangers of it, if they try to explore. But like all creatures, the primal instinct to claim and expand territories is difficult to stop.

"Alright now with the exoskeleton repaired for the up'tenth time, I can finally design the exterior plates." Just as I was about to continue working on my five year old project, I felt a large helm headbutting me in the back.

"Ack! That hurt! What do you want?-" turning around to see a grumpy Ash who proceeds to huff smoke with a warning growl. "Uhh. hi, Ash? Did I wake you? Uhm scratch that, what time is it?" I look behind the towering and only winged triplet for the old clock. "Holy! It's 10:08! Dad's going to be pissed when he finds out I stayed up past curfew!"

"Yeah, you're right about me getting pissed."

"U-uh, hi dad! When did you get here?" Leaning on the entrance to the barn is my dad with a scrutinizing look. A head covered in fluffy hair looking like a storm cloud and freshly shaved chin. A sharp nose decorated in soft freckles and slanted eyes of molton brown complemented by a faded scar reaching from his temple to his jaw. Arms folded over his chest and his work outfit consisted of an oil stained apron, black shirt and scraped jeans.

"Shaye, go to bed or I will take Lynx away for a week."

"Alright alright! Going now. Girls can you keep an eye on Sam tonight for me?" The three nod their heads after coming to an agreement.

"Shaye!"

"Okay! Jeez, you don't have to tell the whole neighborhood, dad."

~•*𓃦 *•~

It didn't take long for dad to believe I went to bed, but instead I was opening my computer. Pulling on my headset, I open discord to find a few of my friends online. (Author note: I know discord did not exist in 2007 but I don't know any other platforms.)

Nightshade: I need some help guys, something big is about to happen.

Nightshade: I want someone to keep eyes on the girls and vital signs just in case.

Nightshade: Hydrangea, if you're up to it, scrub any evidence of the girls and our new friend from all cameras within this area.

Nightshade: [Sending location...]

With the message out, I pull out my mic and jump into the voice call.