¹⁴Pistanthrophobia

the fear of trusting people due to past experiences with relationships gone bad

***

THE BUTTERFLY effect. the idea that if a butterfly flaps its wings at the perfect time, in the perfect place, it'll cause a hurricane hundreds of miles away.

In easier terms, it's the idea that the decisions we make can have consequences that we never expected.

For example, if you decided to kill someone right now, hopefully you wouldn't, but if you did, that would change the entire course of your life.

Adira always believed in this theory. Ever since she heard about it, she wondered if she was disrupting the course of nature. If she was making the world unnatural simply by being alive.

Thinking about it, if she was never born James wouldn't have a younger sister, he'd be much happier, so would her parents, her friends.

Maybe her butterfly effect started when she was sorted into slytherin. If she was sorted into gryffindor...maybe her and James' relationship would be much better. Maybe her parents wouldn't hate her as much as they do. She maybe wouldn't be a deatheater.

She knows this is all untrue, her parents hated her long before she was sorted into slytherin.

However it is comforting to think that it was actions that caused her life to be this fucked. and it wasn't just fate.

***

A NEW DAY. Hopefully better than the one before but who could tell.

Adiras day started as it always did. Showering, dreading the day before it had even started.

Then she walked to breakfast with Narcissa and Peggy, ignoring the girls argue over some petty topic.

However this morning would be different, due to Regulus fucking Black.

He walked up to the three girls, piece of parchment in hand before sneakily handing it over to Adira.

Once she realised what it was, she crumpled up the paper and quickly shoved it into her pocket, wondering what the fuck he was thinking bringing this infront of people.

"We start today." He whispered in her ear, Causing Narcissa and Peggy to stare at the two in much confusion.

Clearly he had gotten the letter from Voldemort yesterday too. That's the only way to describe his worry.

They hadn't really started their plan. Sure they had spoken to eachother more and had one or two decent deep conversations, however they still weren't the biggest fans of eachother.

Plus Adira was still convinced this plan was a one way ticket to hell.

I mean how many people trick the dark lord and live to tell the tale?

"what are you doing bringing this into public?" Adira whispered back as he crammed himself in the space between herself and Narcissa so he'd be sat next to her, whilst evan politely asked Peggy if he could sit next to her.

Peggy nodded so quickly Narcissa was worried her neck would snap.

"You got the letter two, we have to start." Was the boys response.

"okay? why are you sitting next to me, practically on my knee might i add."

"rule 4."

"I'm sorry, are we interrupting something?" Peggy asked, her voice causing the two to snap their heads up, Regulus glaring at the girl since they didn't get along and Adira smiling awkwardly.